Drilled Into Romex(Accidently)

Old 08-11-17, 05:10 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drilled Into Romex(Accidently)

Hello All:
I was trying to install an outlet for the wife in a cubby on top of a wall. While drilling, the bit grabbed on to a cable. That cable apparently took out the entire circuit. All I need to do is to splice, wire nut, and tape a new cable for the repair. I can't have an electrician do this because they want $120 just to walk in the house, plus we are about to have a whopper of a hospital bill from when I took my wife to the ER two weeks ago. The simple question is how would I get a new cable to the box(to tie into the line cable) when there is the frayed cable attached to the stud already? Many thanks in advance everyone.

Attached Images    
Old 08-11-17, 05:27 AM
V
Forgot to add one more photo.

Attached Images  
Old 08-11-17, 06:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 746 Votes on 685 Posts
NO! You can NOT simply splice/wire nut and tap the wires back together.

Where is the damage located? Is it up right at the top plate where the ceiling and wall meet?

I would install an old work box somewhere in the ceiling where the "from attic" wire can reach inside. Then, if you can pull a new cable from your electrical box up to the newly installed box. Then make your electrical connections inside the box and cover with a blank cover plate. If you are unable to pull a new wire from the outlet I would install a second old work box in the wall below the damaged area and pull the wire back into the box. Then run a short section of new cable between your two newly installed junction boxes. Then cover the boxes with a blank cover plate. You can paint the cover plate to match the wall so it's less noticeable.

The big thing is you cannot have hidden wiring connections. So, there can be no splices or wire nuts buried in the wall or just laying in the attic.

Old 08-11-17, 08:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Which wall is it, the one with a crawl space and can you get in there? Let us know otherwise Pilot Dane answer is the best.

Old 08-11-17, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
As Dane mentioned all wire splices must be contained in an accessible junction box. Since it appears you have access to the attic, you can install a junction box there.

The cable coming out of the wall is too short/damaged to have wires long enough in the box (all wires must extend 3" past the opening of the box) so you will need to fish a new cable down to the existing wall box. Using fiberglass fish sticks, fish tape, a string with a nut attached will help you fish the wall. The existing cable will no of no help as it will be staples to the stud. I would fine which cable is the broken one (no assuming here, you need to be 100% sure!!!) and remove it from the box to make fishing easier.

BTW - This is the kind of stuff us electricians know how to do which is why we charge $120 to walk in the door.

Old 08-11-17, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Just looked at picture again, looks like you damaged cable right at header and you will have to get above it. If attic than through there or cut into wall above header and repair drywall.

Old 08-11-17, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Pugsl, I think that is just blocking for drywall. I see too many separate pieces of wood to be a header.

Old 08-12-17, 05:50 AM
V
My apologies Tolyn Ironhand if you think I was trying to bash electricians(I would never do that to any tradesperson), but I can see 120 to repair the issue, but 120 plus who knows how much more to actually do the repair? The photo of the outlet box is the first in the run(switched as well) of the entire circuit of the room. Wouldn't it make sense that the wiring to the right(inside the box which is attached to a stud) be the cut wire from the above picture, then the left continuing to feed the rest? Many thanks.

Old 08-12-17, 05:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 746 Votes on 685 Posts
Turn off the breaker to the circuit. Then go up in the attic and temporarily connect the conductors of the damaged cable together. Now go down to the outlet box with a volt meter and check for continuity between wires. The damaged wire (the one you tied together) will show a short between the wires.

Old 08-12-17, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
No offense taken, I was really just giving you a hard time.

Wouldn't it make sense that the wiring to the right(inside the box which is attached to a stud) be the cut wire from the above picture, then the left continuing to feed the rest?
No, because both cables will be attached to the stud within 8" of a box as required by code. Again, follow Dane's quality advice to confirm which cable is the damaged one. I should note to disconnect the wires in the wall box before testing continuity.

Old 08-12-17, 11:10 AM
As already discussed you are going to need junction boxes somewhere and pull a new cable down. The damage at the wall top plate is severe. There is no way to pull that cable up or down.

Here's a few ideas to gain access:
Install a hard wired smoke detector in the ceiling (if allowed) or a pendant light, that will give you one box. From the ceiling box you can run a new cable down.

You could also install a switched wall sconce to give you another hole to work from.

Old 08-16-17, 03:50 PM
V
Here is how an electrician (very reputable in this area) repaired this today. Ran a new line from outlet box to mangled top.

Attached Images  
Old 08-16-17, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Oh...My...Golly! That is not correct at all. That guy needs to be reported! Do not pay him!!!!!

ALL wire splices are required to be in a box. There is no box. It is wrong, wrong, wrong!!

Old 08-16-17, 08:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
very reputable in this area
If that is reputable in your area then you need someone from outside your area.

Old 08-16-17, 08:38 PM
V
Now I feel like an a-hole because I've been dooped. I will call them in the morning. He charged me $85. Thanks guys.

Old 08-16-17, 09:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Don't feel bad. When you hire a person who claims to be a Pro you are trusting him to know what he is doing. He's the AH for not doing a professional job. Remind them code requires all splices to be in always accessible junction boxes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: