Wiring question

Old 08-14-17, 08:58 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring question

I have a 14/2 line from my electrical panel which services 3 pull chain lights and then a couple of miscellaneous outlets past the last pull chain lightin my basement. I would like to replace the 3 pull chain light with shop lights and control the 3 lights by a switch. I know how to do the wiring for this setup but how do I do the wiring that will enable the miscellaneous outlets at the end of the line to have continuous power and not be controlled by the switch?

Old 08-14-17, 09:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
The are a couple of ways to do this depending on where the switch is. The easiest is the use a xx-3 cable and use the red as the switched hot and the black as a constant hot.

Old 08-14-17, 09:34 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The switch will be the first thing on the line followed by the 3 lights and then the 3 remaining outlets.

Old 08-15-17, 04:38 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The switch will be the first thing on the line
Then as PCBoss wrote use xx-3 cable.

At the switch the black of the power in xx-2 cable would be connected to the black of the xx-3 cable and pigtailed to one side of the switch.

The red of the xx-3 cable would be connected to the other dide of the switch.

All whites would be connected together.

At the lights red and white would be used and the black would pass through not used.

At the last light the white and black of the xx-3 cable would connect to an xx-2 cable that goes to the receptacle.

xx=14 for a 15 amp breaker and xx=12 for a 20 amp breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: