Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Removed outlet and capped wires lost power to half of the circuit

Old 08-21-17, 06:37 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I had an outlet I wanted to remove the outlet was bad and I needed to wait to replace it with the right kind since they didn't have ungrounded 2 prong outlets at the store by my house and I have knob and tube wiring. Everything was working fine until I disconnected the outlet and capped the wires all separately and then when I went to turn the breaker back on I discovered none of the lights or outlets downstream of the outlet I removed worked anymore. I replace outlets wired same way all over the house on other occasions with no problem. The only difference is that this outlet is feeding power from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor where it then goes up in the attic and powers lights. So basically none of the lights fed from the attic have power without the outlet ON. I concluded that since power was being fed through the outlet to power the lights and outlets that were not working that I simply interrupted the feed by capping them seperately. The 2 hots and 2 neutrals connected to the outlet are line and load from same circuit. I tried to connect the neutrals together because thats how they are everywhere else in the house when a device is removed, but this did not affect anything. When i twisted the hots together, the breaker would not stay on. It tripped instantly. So i was not able to get the power back on to the downstream lights and outlets without the outlet hooked up. When i tried to put the outlet back and connected everything the circuit breaker continued to trip instantly and the only way i can get it not to is if i cap the wires with the hots separately. Now i have no power on half of the circuit. I figured the outlet must just be bad. i got a new outlet same configuration as the old one and tried replacing but it still trips when connected. There are 4 wires 2 neutrals 2 hots line and load i simply hooked it up in the same arrangement. The wires are in good condition and no sign of any damage. Directly downstream of this outlet there is a light fixture with switched neutral, and in other parts of the house i have had a breaker trip if the neutral and hot is reversed at any point on the feed, but im this case since it has always been that way and worked fine i cant imagine that it would cause a problem now only after disconnecting and reconnecting an outlet.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-17, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Wow! That is one really hard to read post!

It sounds to me like you have a hot and neutral mixed up. Use a meter to find which is the incoming hot and neutral, then, you should be able to connect the other wires correctly.

Old 08-21-17, 11:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I will have to recheck and test everything to be 100% sure but I did make note of what wires were which as I was disconnecting and reconnecting all the wires. If anything were mixed up I think it would be line and load neutral rather than neutral and hot as the only thing that was hard to determine was the neutrals since its knob and tube they do not come into the box as pairs they are all fed into the box separately.

There are a total of 9 lights and 10 outlets being fed power by this outlet. Is there a way I am not thinking of (besides running a new circuit) that I can change the way it is hooked up so this line can feed power upstairs WITHOUT the outlet? Or am I stuck with this configuration as I have assumed? Obviously I would prefer to convert it to a j-box but that seems impossible the way the lights and switches are daisy chained off of this outlet and the ways I tried did not work