Add extra outlet on deck?

Old 08-28-17, 01:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add extra outlet on deck?

So I have an exterior outlet on my deck that is attached to the house.

I do alot of grilling and have some accessories (lights, temperature controllers, etc) that I need power for. Problem is my grill is located on the opposite side of my deck. I've been using an extension cord, but it kinda sucks to have to laying across the deck - it doesn't look good and its a trip hazard.

Is there a way to pull power from the existing exterior outlet and add another outlet closer to where I need it? I was thinking of using conduit to just drop straight down from the existing box and then just follow along the edge until I get to the railing post where I would mount the next outlet. Sure there would be conduit, but i could easily paint it to blend in.

Is this a decent solution? I do have an elevated deck, and we have a roof installed on the underside of it to keep the patio underneath dry (not sure if this is relevant, but just letting you know what's going on underneath the deck - since we have the roof I dont have easy access to the immediate underside).

Thanks everyone for the help! I threw together a quick illustration to help explain.

Attached Images  
Old 08-28-17, 01:34 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Yes your plan to extend the circuit to the new location using conduit is a good one. Use the bottom threaded port in the existing box to start with a conduit male adapter. Make sure to use the same gauge wire as the original circuit and if it isn't already there, make sure the outdoor receptacles have GFCI protection.

Old 08-28-17, 02:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
THHN/THWN wires in the conduit, NM-B (aka Romex) is not allowed outside.

Old 08-29-17, 07:52 AM
T
Thanks for the help! One thing I noticed - the existing outlet is flush with the exterior wall. It does have one of those big plastic balloon type covers on it to protect it from the elements. Would I have to add a box extension to the existing outlet to allow me access to a threaded port to add the conduit?

What do you all think about these deck grommets? I could get a nice extension cord and run it under the deck boards and then it would just give me a remote plugin location.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...f_rd_i=desktop

Old 08-29-17, 08:08 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
If it's a flush mounted box, you'll need to either get into the wall or add a weatherproof box extension.

The extension cord devices are not a good idea, and I'm really surprised that Red Dot is selling them as they are generally a reputable company. Extension cords should only ever be for temporary use and should never pass through building materials. It's a fire hazard because the extension cord is not rated for that type of use. Note that the product description does not mention UL listing.

Old 08-29-17, 08:36 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There is a plan B that might be simpler. If there is a receptacle on an unrestricted circuit* inside on the same wall and general location you could just come off of it.

*Restricted circuit examples:
Kitchen
Dining Room
Bathroom

Old 08-30-17, 11:33 AM
T
All great responses - thanks everyone for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: