Adding electric to detached garage

Old 08-28-17, 10:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding electric to detached garage

I converted my large carport into a garage and need to install a service line from my meter to the garage.
I have a Square D 200 Amp Overhead/Underground Meter Socket CSED with the side panel where the 200a main breaker panel is mounted on the side of the meter. The service line runs directly from the 200 Amp breaker to the basement subpanel 45ft away from the meter and the garage is only 6ft from the meter.

Because it's a remodeled old home with 12in thick walls, it would be WAY too difficult to run a line from the subpanel in the basement. It would seem easy to run power from the 200 Amp breaker to another subpanel in the garage where I will use 60 amp breaker so I can run a welder and such. I already have 2/0 4-wire service cable. I doubt splitters are allowed off the 200a main breaker lugs and I'm certain it is prohibited to install 2 cables on one (main) lug. On eBay, I found ILSCO Lugs F977 350-MCM 1/0 splitters. Maybe I need a 400/320 panel (?) but they are absurdly expensive, any ideas?

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-17, 02:42 AM
M
That was my first impression because it seemed it could be so simple. Basically, I need a feed-thru panel that will mount to, or replace, my existing set-up which has the meter and mast on the right side and the cable running through the brick wall on the left side.

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-17, 03:03 AM
M
Maybe something like the Siemens 200 Amp 8-Space 16-Circuit OH/UG Ringless Meter Combo with Feed-Thru Lugs.

Attached Images   
Old 08-29-17, 07:24 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Hi Mark, there are a couple ways you may be able to continue without replacing your current panel. First would be if you have bolted lugs on the main breaker, you can possibly swap them out for double lugs -- one set to the house, one set to the garage. The other option would be to install a gutter below the meter box where you can splice and split the feeders.

Old 09-05-17, 09:48 PM
M
Need help installing a line to my detached garage.

I need to run power to a new detached garage so I can run lights, outlets, a welder and shop equipment.

I have a remodeled 1930's home with an overhead line drop into an exterior 200A meter panel with 1/0 4-way aluminum cable. The cable goes directly through the exterior brick wall and into the basement on the opposite side of the house to the main sub panel.

I cannot run a line from the basement because I would have to tear up the whole basement. I have stepped/terraced concrete between the garage and house so an overhead feed would be most simple and I already have the exact mast, weather head and 2/0 4-way cable on hand (non-returnable) to run the distance.

Question:
I need to run the line from the 200A breaker so, what would be the most economical way? Is it okay to connect 2 wires to each output lug of the 200A breaker? (I think it's not allowable.) Is it okay to splice into the 1/0 with a splitter?

If I can't add splitters, what is an economical panel which can split the main feed? I've seen some panels for over $1000 with 2 main large cable outputs but that is ridiculous! Is it okay to add another (3rd) panel to the left of my main breaker on the corner of the exterior wall that would split the main? What are my options?

Attached Images   
Old 09-05-17, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
Threads combined.

I would lean towards replacing your existing meter/disconnect for a unit with multiple breakers. The disconnect also needs a proper clamp where the wire comes in from the house.

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-17, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
I would agree with PJmax as that is one of the worst service installs I have seen. Besides the cable just being poked through the KO there is also 2 KO's missing on the bottom.

However, not wanting to reinvent the wheel, you could use the existing panel and install a smaller disconnect next to the existing service. You can then either splice onto the existing service wires using wire piercing taps, tap off the wires using split bolt connectors, or make a standard splice. The smaller disconnect will need to be a minimum of 20 amps, if your service is 200 amps, and will need to have some kind of over-current device (fuses or breaker). The tap conductors can not be more then 10' long so the disconnect will need to be next to the existing service.

Of course, if you choose to go that route, repairs need to be made to the existing service.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: