Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Specific Generator Grounding Question (not covered elsewhere)

Old 09-02-17, 09:12 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Treat this like a puzzle. I must connect this generator to premises system and cannot do it in the way I know I should. Please advise on the least dangerous solution...
1. The generator must connect to a sub panel in a shed. The panel has an 8g 3+1 connection to the house. The panel's ground bus is grounded with an electrode, and neutral bus is not bonded to ground.
2. A generator inlet box is connected to the panel with a 2-pole 30a breaker and separate conductors to ground and neutral. (The breaker is padlocked, and the key is taped to the main breaker in the house with attached instructions... I know, I know, not good enough...)
3. The generator has neutral bonded to ground in a location completely inaccessible without complete disassembly. I have built a 30a generator cord with only 2 hots and neutral, no grounding wire, to avoid the loop that would result from neutral/ground bonding in more than one place in the system.

My question is: Should the generator frame be grounded, and if so, to what... surely not to the electrode that grounds the panel?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-17, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

(The breaker is padlocked, and the key is taped to the main breaker in the house with attached instructions... I know, I know, not good enough...)
WRONG.... it's completely illegal and dangerous.

The rest of your questions are moot.

Old 09-02-17, 03:46 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I cannot envision ANY situation where a generator is connected to a sub-panel and may be used to also energize a service (main) panel.

IF only sub-panel loads need to be energized then an approved interlock or transfer switch that precludes the use of both the sub-panel feeder and the generator supply may be sufficient. If you do need to energize the service panel from the generator then you MUST run the generator interconnect directly to the service panel and use an approved interlock or transfer switch.

Until the above is taken care of the grounding issue is irrelevant as you simply cannot use the system in a safe manner the way you have described the existing installation.