Basement wet bar - circuits needed

Old 09-07-17, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement wet bar - circuits needed

Hi all, I'm working on finishing my basement and am planning out the number of branch circuits that are needed. I'm planning to have a wet bar / kitchenette that will include a dishwasher, ice maker, microwave, and likely two under-counter fridges. Believe I can ignore the lights, as those can be included with a different circuit (the adjoining red room), so how many breakers should I plan for this area? The fridges I'm looking at do call for dedicated 15amp circuits in their installation manuals, so I guess that's two (I can't run one 20 amp?). I assume I need two 20 amp small appliance circuits , as I would in a standard kitchen. Can these appliance circuits be used for the other appliances - i.e. dishwasher, ice maker, microwave?

Thanks,
Guy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-17, 08:42 PM
A
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
Kitchen. An area with a sink and permanent provisions for food preparation and cooking.
Check with your local inspector as some think built in microwave makes it a kitchen. If not you don't need the 20amp SABCs and can share.

Old 09-07-17, 08:53 PM
I will have a sink, but loose the microwave and I'm good?

I was actually planning to leave a below-counter shelf with a receptacle at the back for a free standing microwave. I don't know what the definition of built in microwave is, but not sure it what I have planned would count. Either way, I can call the inspector...good call.
Thanks

Old 09-08-17, 09:55 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 104 Posts
What's the wattage rating on the fridges? Standard-size fridges don't call for dedicated circuits, so I'm surprised the smaller under-cabinet ones do.

Old 09-09-17, 06:35 AM
The fridges are rated for 2.3 amps. I talked with the inspector and he didn't consider it a kitchen. I'm planning one general/small appliance circuit, one circuit for the two fridges (2.3amp each), one for the microwave (I don't know rating, but it's pretty high because it is also a convection oven)), one for the dishwasher (12amp), and one shared by the garbage disposal (9amp) and ice maker (~2.5amp). So total of five circuits, and I'll likely run them all as 20 amp circuits.

Thanks,
Guy