AFCI for knob and tube circuit?

Reply

  #1  
Old 09-11-17, 08:23 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 724
AFCI for knob and tube circuit?

We just bought an old house, and on inspection, found one knob and tube circuit that goes to second floor. Unfortunately the walls are all original plaster and woodwork. There are closets on the first and second floors, so we could send wires up to the attic and then have them come down into rooms, but that still will necessitate some plaster damage.

In the meantime, I found the circuit in the panel (GE 200 amp) and replaced the breaker with an AFCI breaker. I have read that knob and tube is less susceptible to overheating and can handle more current than Romex. I also read that it is most susceptible to damage where it enters metal boxes due to brittle insulation.

We only use a couple lamps in these rooms. Are we protected with the AFCI, or am I giving myself a false sense of security?

Thank you
Dave
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-11-17, 09:30 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 9,799
Likes Received: 7
Assuming you used the correct amperage AFCI breaker for the wire size, you should be protected. The only additional protection the AFCI breaker gives you is protection against arcing faults.


I have read that knob and tube is less susceptible to overheating and can handle more current than Romex.

I do not agree.
 
  #3  
Old 09-11-17, 09:43 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 724
Thanks, Joe. I used a 15 amp breaker (that's what I replaced too). The braided wire was spliced to plastic coated wire in the panel box.
 
  #4  
Old 09-11-17, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,810
Likes Received: 14
The AFCI is good, also adding GFCI protection would be better.

The statement on K&T carrying greater current has a grain of truth but overall very misleading for the reason you identified. The true part is that bare copper hanging free in air can indeed carry much more current than insulated cable assemblies. However, a wiring system is only as good as its weakest point, and as you pointed out the parts of the wires that are insulated are very fragile and any additional heating in these areas greatly increases the risk of failure or fire. This makes the K&T circuit overall worse than modern Romex. K&T is also supposed to have no thermal insulation on it, however in many old houses the K&T has been buried in fiberglass or cellulose during a remodel and has been rendered unsafe.
 
  #5  
Old 09-11-17, 10:56 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 50,516
Likes Received: 105
I'd been recently working at a few homes removing K&T wiring. Some insurance companies are putting up a red flag with K&T wiring and requesting (demanding) its replacement by a licensed electrician. Since you recently moved in.... check into it.
 
  #6  
Old 09-11-17, 09:08 PM
Justin Smith's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cressona, Pa, USA
Posts: 2,546
Most of the knob and tube I've seen, with some rare exceptions is only #14 which is only good for 15 amps.

You're safest putting a 'dual function" breaker in which provides AFCI and GFCI protection. As an added bonus you can legally install 3 prong receptacles as long as you affix a " AFCI/GFCI protected outlet no equipment ground" sticker.
 
  #7  
Old 09-17-17, 10:44 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 724
What would the AFCI/GFCI breaker do differently vs AFCI only? Protect against shock?
 
  #8  
Old 09-18-17, 07:05 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,312
AFCI protects against sparks/arcs/fire.

GFCI protects against people/animals being electrocuted.
 
  #9  
Old 09-19-17, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,496
Likes Received: 6
To throw in one more consideration for K&T wiring... It's generally safer when used on lighting circuits. You know there are x number of 40/60w bulbs (or LEDs at considerably less draw), so you'll never really be pushing the limits of the circuit in terms of overheating.

Where it becomes more of an issue is with receptacles. Plug in a vacuum, or window AC, or space heater, and all of a sudden you're drawing a lot more current through wires that can have a tendency to overheat (depending on insulation, etc).

I would definitely recommend planning an upgrade at some point. A good electrician can likely do one circuit with little damage.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes