Walk in cooler electrical installation

Old 09-14-17, 04:43 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Walk in cooler electrical installation

Question, if you are running a circuit(220v) from an outside subpannel to an internal load center do you need to run metal /flex conduit or will pvc suffice? Secondly would the load center box that feeds the compressor and blower unit require an inspection if no mains power is being sent to it?

We are installing our walk in cooler for our farm in our garage semi temporarily. Our original plan was to have our cooler installed outside, but our funding for the complete concrete pad and processing house did not pan out right. We had a sub pannel installed outside for this reason when the house was being built. Because our breaker pannel in the garage is maxed out I thought we were going to have to add another subpannel(100a)and wiring(to the tune of $1k) but I totally forgot that I had the sub outside. The conduit would run down to the foundation then up about a foot or two before punching into the garage.

​​​Thanks
Whacker

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-17, 06:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You can only have one source of power to a detached structure. The current maxed subpanel is that one source so you can't run a second one. Will the subpanel that is there accept tandems? If you aren't sure give us the make and model number of the panel.

Voltage info: Nominal voltage is 240 (single phase) not 220.

Old 09-16-17, 11:08 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
You can only have one source of power to a detached structure. The current maxed subpanel is that one source so you can't run a second one. Will the subpanel that is there accept tandems? If you aren't sure give us the make and model number of the panel.

Voltage info: Nominal voltage is 240 (single phase) not 220.
Ray,

The sub pannel is built into the meter outside. It currently only powers our septic system. The main pannel for the house is maxed out. I would be running the 240 from the outside subpanel via conduit into the garage for the walk in load center which isolates the blower and compressor. So I'm assuming thats a single source? I'll have to check if tandems will work for our main load center, but I'd rather not mess with the main pannel if I have room on the sub.

Old 09-16-17, 11:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I would be running the 240 from the outside subpanel via conduit into the garage for the walk in load center which isolates the blower and compressor. So I'm assuming that's a single source?
If the garage is attached you can have multiple sources from the house panel. Is the garage attached?

Old 09-16-17, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
The sub pannel is built into the meter outside.
That panel that is connected to the meter is likely the main panel. The house panel would then be a sub panel.

As mentioned, you may only have one feeder/branch circuit to a building so if the garage is attached, or already has a fed from the house panel, you may not add another one.

Because our breaker panel in the garage is maxed out I thought we were going to have to add another subpanel(100a)and wiring(to the tune of $1k
Adding a sub panel in the garage off the existing panel is not a difficult task and could be likely done DIY. We can help. Post a picture of the existing panel in the garage and we can go from there.