AC adapter: how worried should I be about this?

Old 09-15-17, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC adapter: how worried should I be about this?

This is plug that powers my home security system. Its been in place since before we bought the house in 2005. So should be about 15 years old. Its looked like this for as long as I can remember. Its warm to the touch, maybe warmer than I would expect.

Is this a fire hazard?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-17, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I'm not sure I'd "worry" about it... but I probably would replace it. Something is definitely overheating... I don't think you'd get that much discoloration from normal usage over the years.

Plus, a replacement transformer is probably $10-20, an easy decision to keep something from bursting into flames unexpectedly. You'll just have to check the voltage and amperage of the existing transformer. You need to match the voltage and get one with the same or more amps/watts.

Old 09-15-17, 10:42 AM
good point. and you answered my next question - how do I replace it? :-) thanks!!

Old 09-15-17, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Some of those AC adapters did run quite warm. I have a box of older ones that aren't quite as aged as that one. That supply will run forever like that.

It is most likely a 16.5VAC transformer. Getting one with a wattage rating of 40VA would be a good idea.

Usually those transformers are held in place with a screw thru the center of the plate and receptacle. You either need to turn that breaker off first or hold the plate in place so that when the screw is removed the plate doesn't short to the prong.

Old 09-15-17, 12:37 PM
Thanks Pjmax, I didnt know that. Havent tried to unplug it yet. so to your point about the 40va, do I have to get the exact rating of the current transformer or are you saying I can get one with more? I have a basic understanding of electrical work but not with these AC adaptors.

Old 09-15-17, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
A larger wattage transformer will run cooler than a lower wattage one. There is a good chance that transformer is already a 40va model.