Permissible to fasten wall switches to plywood?

Old 09-15-17, 06:23 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Permissible to fasten wall switches to plywood?

My kitchen re-wiring has been completed. New separate circuits for fridge, dishwasher, washer, disposer, and 3 separate 20 amp countertop circuits. New 40 amp oven service and 30 amp dryer service. And new kitchen lighting circuits, one for general recessed lighting, one for a chandelier hanging over the island.

My original intent was to put a double gang box on the wall next to the wall oven cabinet to be able to off/on the kitchen and island lights. But, measurement errors mean that now that things are installed I no longer have room between the wall oven cabinet and the doorway next to it to insert a double gang switch.

The sides of the wall oven cabinet are good quality 1/2 inch plywood. When installed the oven itself has a two inch clearance with the exterior of the wall, 1.5 inch with the interior. Oven specs permit 1/2 between oven side wall and the cabinet.

Finally: The question. I want to move the double gang switch from the wall to the side of the oven cabinet. I can't install a box because it is 3" deep. Is there any issue with simply cutting the necessary openings in the plywood and directly fastening the switches? They are both 3-way are are 1 inch deep so fit is not an issue at all.

Appreciate any feedback and thank you all in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-17, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,202 Votes on 1,112 Posts
No....sorry. All devices must be installed in an approved electrical box.

So you have a double whammy there..... close to the hot oven wall and limited installation depth.

Old 09-15-17, 07:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. Oddly, oven wall heat is not an issue, given oven specs, but spacing sure is. Thank you... on to plan B, whatever that is.

Would I be OK with something like this?

1-Gang 8 cu. in. Flanged Shallow Old Work Box-B108R-UPC - The Home Depot

TIA.

Old 09-15-17, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Those boxes are too small for a device and wires. You could gang a couple of these: 2 in. Deep Shallow Gangable Switch Box - Silver (5-Pack)-Y8GSB-1-NM - The Home Depot. (They are non combustible) OR use a standard 4"x4" box and a flat mud ring. That would only be 1 1/2" deep. Another option is to surface mount a two gang Wiremold box to the side of the cabinet.