Permit for electrical work done over time by homeowner

Old 09-16-17, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Permit for electrical work done over time by homeowner

Hi, I was hoping someone could explain what a possible permitting process would look like in this situation:

My local building department will issue permits to homeowners completing their own work. I live in a 1948 house with electrical work from a few different eras - plenty of original K&T, some metal clad wiring, and modern NM from a permitted kitchen remodel. I'd like to start slowly upgrading the original K&T here and there, add a few receptacles, possibly upgrade the service. I'm not in a rush, and I don't expect It'll happen quickly.

How should I go about doing this so that it's permitted and can be inspected when I'm done? Do I have to have all the expected work planned before I start? Is there a limit to how long I can take to complete the work? And how is it inspected since much of it will be fished through finished walls either up into the attic or down into the crawlspace?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-17, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
All inspection and permit rules are local. You local inspection office is the place to ask. Please add your location to your profile so others may be able to give location specific answers.

Old 09-16-17, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
East Bay, CA. Profile updated, thanks.

Understanding that all rules are local, I'd still be curious to hear from folks who have upgraded wiring over time and how they went about the permitting process.

Thank you!

Old 09-16-17, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
IF your area allows homeowner work..... you apply for a permit to upgrade the wiring. You tell them how many devices there will be so that the permit fee can be figured. Most of the permits are valid up to one year.

Put the service replacement on it's own permit.

You would pull the new wires in place and then get a rough-in inspection. The inspector will check what is exposed. Obviously he can't check what's pulled thru a wall.