Light switch box recessed

Old 09-16-17, 10:32 AM
Light switch box recessed

My wife wants me to replace a light switch with a dimmer switch. The fixture is an overhead lamp, standard line voltage. 9 xenon bulbs at 40W each. (Many months ago an electrician extended the electrical line from a wall, where some lights were (which he took out) to the overhead position.)

I bought a single pole 600 W dimmer from HD. Switched the power off and started taking out the old switch. I then realized that the "profile" of the old switch is thinner than the profile of the dimmer. (Profile, meaning how wide the metal mounting plate is.) I also saw that the electrical box for the switch is about 3/8" to 1/2" recessed behind plaster. Inside the box I saw a wire bundle that didn't go anywhere, and a neutral and a hot for the switch. The old switch was grounded to the box. I used a simple continuity tester to verify that there's continuity between the (metal) box and ground.

So...I could mount the new switch. I searched online, and it sounds like 3/8" to 1/2" is too deep. I figure that, nominally, things should be OK, insofar as the new dimmer would be grounded through the mounting screws to the box. Since I'm not an expert, though, I didn't want to just go ahead and do that without getting feedback.

There were some posts in various places talking about a box "extender". Sounds like it mounts from inside the old box. I'm not sure that's a good solution here because the old box has interior dimensions of a little more than 1.75" by a little more than 2.75", and it's already kind of cramped. So I'm at a loss about what to do.

I can't tell what the box is mounted onto. There's wood trim nearby, but the only stuff actually touching the box, as far as I can tell, is plaster.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-17, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
various places talking about a box "extender". Sounds like it mounts from inside the old box. I'm not sure that's a good solution here because the old box has interior dimensions of a little more than 1.75"
The extender takes up no significant room and would in effect give you a deeper box.

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-17, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
They also make the extenders in plastic.
I have cut the plastic ones if they stick too far into the box.

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-17, 05:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The plastic one shown is an Arlington BE-1 .