Junction box not accessable

Old 09-16-17, 12:37 PM
Junction box not accessable

Greetings,
I just moved into a two-year-old home and found one of the outlets didn't work on our main floor. I used a voltage tester on the wire that dropped into the ceiling of our basement and confirmed the wire was dead. I traced it back to a junction box with two wires coming out of it, one lit up the voltage tester, the other (wired to the outlet) did not.

I believe the issue is in the wiring in the junction box. The problem I have is the junction box was installed from the main level and is not accessible from the basement. It currently sitting under the center of our hardwood flooring on our main level. so it is not accessible from the top floor either. (see attached). My question is, how do I fix this? Do I need to rip up the HW flooring? Thanks for your help!

For some reason the picture is on the side, the junction box is on the cealing, not the wall.

-Nathan

Attached Images  

Last edited by PJmax; 09-16-17 at 01:18 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-17, 12:46 PM
If you can determine how the wiring needs to be done inside the junction box if it were accessible, then you can just turn off the breakers that feed power to the two wires, cut them at the box thus making the box obsolete. Then mount another box somewhere close by that faces down to allow you to do the necessary wiring.

Old 09-16-17, 12:57 PM
That's a great idea, thanks, I'll see if I can't figure that out. Do you have any idea why it would be set up this way?

Old 09-16-17, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
That is a box cut into the floor for a floor receptacle. At one time there was probably a coffee table over that box.

As miami mentioned....
You can break the box to remove the wires or turn the circuit off, cut the wires and install a new junction box facing down.

Old 09-16-17, 01:24 PM
There may have been a floor outlet. The hardwood floor could be a newer install and the outlet removed.

Old 09-16-17, 03:51 PM
Thanks Pete! That's how I'll solve it, appreciate the quick reply!

-Nate

Old 09-16-17, 04:34 PM
One consideration is whether you have enough slack in the two wire to remake a new connection in a new box somewhere near by. If you do the easiest thing is to just cut the wire, mount a new box facing down, and redo the wiring. If you do not have enough slack, then you may try breaking the existing box to get as much length as you can...seems pretty easy to just use a long sawzall blade to cut across the box flushed with the subfloor. If you have to cut the wire and there isn't enough slack, you may need to figure out the location of the new box, you may need more than one if there is no slack to make the splice.

Old 09-16-17, 05:07 PM
Major Code Violation

The floor may have been replaced, but in a two-year home? I suspect someone changed his mind, floored over the receptacle and the inspector didn't catch it. A j-box is never, ever permitted to be covered-over, made inaccessible. Installing a new j-box with a cover, facing down and accessible is the best solution. You also could carefully cut out the perimeter of the j-box from above and install a floor receptacle, if you desire one in that location....