Zwave 3way switch wiring.

Old 09-18-17, 09:54 AM
Zwave 3way switch wiring.

Im attempting to wire in a zwave 3 way switch, but the wiring I have does not match any of the diagrams.

Two Switches:

Main: dz6hd zwave leviton dimmer.
remote: dd00r-dlz

Remote Image

Main Image

So the power(line?) I believe comes into the black wire in the remote box. No other wire has constant power. If I connect the black and the red here, I get power in the red wire in the main box. Then I can connect the red there with the black wire(top of image) which goes out to the light(load?)

originally in the remote box, there was just a basic on/off switch. When the switch was in the on position, I got power to the dimmer, and the lights cam on. But if it was in the off position, The led on the dimmer would flash, but I had no power to the lights. The white wire on the bottom of the main box with the electrical tape does get power...but Im not sure how.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-17, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Are we looking at two different locations ?
You should be using the proper wire colors too and not use a red wire as neutral.

What's needed to know is what is at each location...... power and light load and which switch goes in which location.

Call the main location switch A and the remote is switch B.

You change the function of the three wire connecting cable to get what you need.

Attached Images  
Old 09-18-17, 10:58 AM
Sorry, Ya. Probably should have started with the initial wiring.

So this is switch B with the original 3way switch wired in.

The blk wire is power (line)

This is Switch A

With the Switch B in the off/down position I get power over the white(blk tape) wire in Switch A
With switch b in the on/up position, I get power over the red wire in switch A.

The red/black/white(black tape) wire all come from the same wire into the box. With power to either the white(blacktape) or red one I can connect it to the black wire (top of image) and the light comes on.

According to the directions. The main dimmer ( dz6hd) goes into the box with the load, switch A, and the remote(dd00r-dlz) goes into the line, Switch b.

I'll get that red neutral switched out asap. It was just a temporary thing anyway

Old 09-18-17, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
So at switch B..... the three wire cable connects directly to the switch..... is that correct ?
If that is correct..... it will be white to white, black to black and yellow/red to red.

At switch A..... identify the cable that goes to switch A. The red will go to the yellow/red on the switch. The black will go to the black of the switch and live power. The white will go to the neutral splice in the box along with the white from the switch.

That should leave a lone black wire. It should go into a two wire cable. That will be the light/load and goes to the red of the switch.

Attached Images  

Last edited by PJmax; 09-18-17 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 09:22 AM
Thanks. I got it wired in correctly after calling their tech support. (your diagram helped) My switch was bad. I bought a new one and wired it in without issue. Thank you!