Joining 2 panels

Old 09-18-17, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joining 2 panels

If I wanted to join an adjacent panel with another panel that is being fed by a generator, do I use 10-2 wire or 10-3? I plan to use two 30A 240v DP breakers and 10 gauge wire but I wasn't sure if I also need to bring the neutral over and attach to the bar on second panel (?) Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-17, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Is this an existing panel ?
Two breakers.... why ?

It sounds like it's an existing panel and you want to somehow connect it to use the generator. A sub panel is connected using 3 wire cable with ground.

Old 09-18-17, 10:20 AM
Yes, existing panel. I was planning to use the 2nd breaker for the power attachment to panel 2. Should I just try to tie in at the top with the main feed? But ok so I need the 10-3 wire and join the neutral bars as well. This would only be used on a temp basis.

Old 09-18-17, 01:19 PM
Also - would this need to be removed if I sold the house? I mean could flipping those new breakers on with regular electric power running cause a hazard/do damage? Thanks.

Old 09-18-17, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
You need the three wire cable to keep the grounds and neutrals separate from each other at all panels except the main one.

I'm still trying to understand what you are doing. You have a powered subpanel but want to power it from a different source ? You wouldn't have two breakers connecting it to the same panel.

When you connect a generator into the house wiring.... there needs to be a 100% positive disconnect of the power company power line from the main panel. You CANNOT rely on "flipping this breaker on and taping that one off". It must be a hard interlock. There cannot be any variation from this.