Help with wiring 240 volt hot tub

Old 09-20-17, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with wiring 240 volt hot tub

Hi guys, I'm gonna jump on a Costco promo hot tub. It's a plug and play or 240 volt. The problem is is that the pad I'm laying will be clear on the other side if the house from my panel (which I believe needs to be upgraded anyway). To avoid a more complicated, expensive, and extensive project in trenching around my yard, I'd like to run the conduct across my roof. Would I need any special wiring for this? Can I use the same conduit for the 240 volt as the regular plug I'll be running as well? In fresn, ca do permits need to be pulled for this job? I'll be hiring an electrician for this but I'd like to do as much as I can myself to avoid undue costs. How much can a regular guy feasibly do to prep the job? I imagine I can at the very least run the conduit and set up the spa panel. Any help is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-17, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How much can a regular guy feasibly do to prep the job?
Most experienced electricians won't trust amature help because the permits are in their name and their license is on the line. They have probably at least once in their career had to redo someone's attempt at helping and replace incorrect materials that were bought.

Old 09-20-17, 09:26 PM
Understood, thanks. How much would a job like this estimate for? Fresno ca is one of the cheapest ca cities. About 100 ft of conduit I'd guess

Old 09-20-17, 09:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Permit and inspection.... absolutely !

It would not be possible to quote running conduit over a roof without seeing it. You need to call and get several quotes.

You'd most likely have a spa sub panel installed near the spa for it's power and a service receptacle.

Depending on where the spa is set.... you may be required to bury a equipotenial bond loop around hot tub. Your electrician should be aware of it.

Old 09-21-17, 12:56 PM
I'm about to pour my slab, is that bond loop something that would need to be implemented in the pad?

Old 09-21-17, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
I would have said yes but I just found this piece on the code....
jadecc/courses/UNIVERSAL/NEC05.php?imDif=787.1

So apparently the answer is no.
However remember..... the inspector is always right.
Each inspector has their own interpretation of the code and that's that. Based on that...I always check with the inspector first.

Old 09-21-17, 06:32 PM
Thanks. That was the first I heard of that for a hot tub.

Old 09-22-17, 10:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
A circuit run across the roof should be derated to compensate the extra heat. This means you'll need to run larger wires than you otherwise would. The electrician should figure this in too.