Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Moving load from one 3-way circuit to another 3-way circuit

Old 09-27-17, 08:34 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all.

We have a light in the stairwell to the basement on a 3-way switch. Switch 1A is at the top of the stairs, switch 1B is at the bottom of the stairs.

The basement lights are on another 3-way circuit. Switch 2A is at the bottom of the stairs (in the same box as switch 1B). Switch 2B is on the other side of the basement.

The kids are afraid to go down the stairs with all the basement lights off, so I want the switch at the top of the stairs (1A) to work all the lights in the stairwell AND basement. Of course, this means switch 1B will do the same thing. Here is what I'm thinking.

If switch 1B has the hot wire for that circuit, I think I'm out of luck for an easy solution. But if switch 1B is the one with the load wire for the stairwell light, can I do this? ...

If switch 2A (in the box with 1B) has the load wire for the basement lights, I can just move that wire to the load wire on switch 1B. Now, 1A and 1B will operate all the lights, and switches 2A/2B will do nothing.

If switch 2A (in the box with 1B) has the hot wire for the basement lights, I take one of the traveler wires from 2A and attach it to the load wire on 1B. When current goes to load on circuit 1, current will also go down that traveler to switch 2B. Now, the status of the basement lights will depend on switch 2B (at the other side of the basement). If that's closed to the traveler wire I picked back at 2A, the basement lights should be on. So, I just need to put switch 2B in the correct position and never touch it. To be safe and make it less confusing, I'll pull the hot wire off switch 2A and cap it off, so switch 2A does absolutely nothing.

Am I missing anything? If not, then I just need to cross my fingers that 1B has a load wire and not a hot wire, because otherwise I can't figure an easy way to do this without running wire.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-17, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,026 Votes on 952 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Start at the box 2A-1B. I'd imagine you'll find the feed for both switch circuits here.
Let us know what you see for wiring at each location.