Powering a USB mini fan

Old 09-28-17, 07:13 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Powering a USB mini fan

Hello,<br />
I want to use a small (very quiet) fan to provide extra cooling to a small LED projector I use daily<br />
- the projector has its own built-in fan, but the fan clearly has to work very hard sometimes when the room is very warm.<br />
I can see there are lots of potential fans out there, but all have a USB power supply as they're designed to be plugged into a computer's USB port.<br />
I won't be powering it from a computer so need to take supply from the mains: is it likely that I can do this by simply connecting the fan to the sort of plug that Apple supply to power iPads, iPods etc<br />
- they're just a plug with a USB outlet<br />
Presumably I need to check that the fan's input voltage and current are compatible with what comes out of the USB plug, but if those figures don't match...???<br />
Pardon my ignorance: I just don't want to blow anything up!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-17, 07:18 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do the fans have a USB or Mini USB port?

Old 09-28-17, 07:19 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
As long as the USB power block/charger has a current (amps) output greater than the fan's requirement it will be fine. The minimum basic power for a USB charger is 0.5A (500mA), but you can get them that go up to 2.1A (2100mA).

Old 09-28-17, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
the projector has its own built-in fan, but the fan clearly has to work very hard sometimes when the room is very warm
That's pretty normal. Be careful to not disturb that airflow thru the projector.

I have several jobs where the projectors are mounted at the ceiling. The heat doesn't adversely affect them.

Old 10-02-17, 08:00 AM
B
The fan has a cable attached with a "normal" (not mini) USB connector on the end.

Old 10-02-17, 08:04 AM
B
Thanks for the replies everyone!
ibpooks... This is where electrics continues to mystify me because (in my ignorance) I'd've otherwise thought that if the
charger were to put out more current than the fan's requirement, that would damage the fan?!?

Old 10-02-17, 08:07 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just to clarify, the cable is hardwired to the fan & the loose end has a regular USB connector? If that's the case, there should be no reason that it can't be connected to any PC or USB charger.

Old 10-02-17, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
It's the voltage that needs to match. It's always better to have extra/reserve current.