Exterior outlet not working

Old 09-28-17, 08:53 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior outlet not working

Hi all, looking for some assistance.

One of my 4 exterior outlets hasn't worked since I moved in 6 months ago. It's an 10 year old house. The breaker panel indicate 5 GFCI's in the house, I've actually found 6, reset them all and did not help. Though I'm not dismissing the possibility that I've missed one, I think it'd be unlikely at this point. I've scoured every corner, moved every piece of furniture. Every outlet of the house works except for this one.

There is a Garage GFCI/WPs label on a breaker, I was able to determine the garage GFCI protects 3 of the WP (water proof exterior outlets) that circuit ends with one of them. The WP outdoor outlet that's not working is also at the end of a circuit. The outlet has an open hot wire.

i found another circuit breaker labeled AC BACK/WP. I'm assuming this WP is referring to the outlet that's not working. I tracked the wire from the breaker panel in the basement and it goes up the floorboard in the middleish of the house, where there is an interior wall. There is a separate AC breaker.

Im trying to track down where the AC back leads, I don't know what AC Back even means.

any help or suggestion welcomed,

thanks

jim

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-17, 01:20 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Backup air conditioner? Perhaps for a window unit somewhere? Maybe an outside receptacle near the air conditioning unit?

Often when a receptacle is not working, a wire has burned off or come loose. The problem is usually at either the non-working receptacle or at the one feeding it. A loose push-in connector is a common failure point.

Old 09-28-17, 03:31 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I already opened the recepticle and determined the Hotwire has no voltage, so something is open upstream, problem is I don't know where upstream is.

Old 09-28-17, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Outside outlet could be anyplace but I would start with the closest GFCI outlet.

Old 09-28-17, 04:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
determined the Hotwire has no voltage
That sounds like you used a non contact tester. You can not use a non contact tester for real testing. You need to use a multimeter, preferably analog, or a test light. You need to disconnect the power in cable and measure from black to white and from black to ground.