Replacing an outdoor outlet

Old 10-01-17, 08:35 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing an outdoor outlet

I have an outdoor duplex receptacle installed on my screened porch.
Iím running a brand new circuit to this box so Iíd like to replace the entire thing (box, wire, outlet, etc) as its decades old and was installed in a hacked-up way.
Since this is a screened porch, the outlet isnít exposed much to the elements; however, I do regularly wash the porch with a hose so the outlet is susceptible to getting wet.
The receptacle will be weather-rated for outdoor use and will be GFCI-protected.

Am I required to use any particular box material? Plastic? Metal? Something else?
Do I need to use any particular cable? The cable comes directly from my basement via an exterior wall.
Am I required to use a weather protection box or can I use a weather cover?
Anything else I need to adhere to?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-17, 09:14 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If the cable runs inside the wall and enters the back of the box it can be NM-b. The box needs to be waterproof either metal or plastic. In-use covers are often recommended now for receptacles.

Old 10-02-17, 06:35 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I would describe this as a damp location, which is different than full outdoors which is a wet location. You do have to use a weatherproof box, but you don't necessarily need a bubble cover. You could use one with the spring loaded covers over the receptacles if you prefer that instead of the full plastic bubble.