Installing power Inlet/Interlock for portable Generator

Old 10-02-17, 12:42 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing power Inlet/Interlock for portable Generator

I'm adding a reliance 30amp powerinlet box as well as a new 30amp breaker for my Generator to my main power panel (outside), and an interlock for that panel as well. I have a subpanel in the garage that houses the majority of the breakers for the house. After this last hurricane, I've decided it is worthwhile to do this so I don't have cords running everywhere for a week while without power from the grid.
The interlock kit I have requires the Main to be directly above (or below) the Generator breaker. So, from the pics below it seems my best bet is to move the A/C breaker to the open 2 slots at the bottom of the left column. I would then add the new breaker where that A/C breaker was. This allows the interlock to work properly.
Is there any reason I should relocate the A/C breaker to the right column instead?
Also, as long as I have the panel open, the pool no longer has an electric heater. Is it best to leave that breaker in the panel as is or remove it?

Main power panel:
Name:  GEpanel breakers.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  95.9 KB
Name:  20171002_135401.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  99.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-17, 01:49 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
it seems my best bet is to move the A/C breaker to the open 2 slots at the bottom of the left column.
That should work. The space on the right if the wires are long enough would also work.

Old 10-02-17, 09:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 73 Posts
Many interlocks need to be installed in spots 2 and 4. I am not sure that is going to work for your panel.

Old 10-03-17, 03:35 AM
L
I've seen that as well when researching, but this particular kit requires the main/Gen breakers to be stacked 1-3, 5-7. (or 2-4, 6-8)

Old 10-03-17, 04:25 AM
Received 69 Votes on 65 Posts
If the pool heater is no longer used remove it and install the AC breaker there then you won't have any spaces that need blanks in the panel cover,otherwise your plan should work.
Geo

Old 10-03-17, 09:11 AM
L
Can't believe I didn't consider that. Perfect!