12v battery questions

Old 10-02-17, 03:50 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
12v battery questions

I have 2 deep cell 12 volt batteries at my cabin. They are hooked to a solar array trickle charger-that does very little in fall and winter so I just unplug them. I take one of the batteries back and charge it and I use my volt meter and it says 13.75 then 14.00 amps. I use my load tester and it tells me in big bright red letters the battery is BAD.<br />
<br />
Now what I want to know is the physically and chemical reactions to explain this. Why with 60 pounds of lead is it not producing electrons-and or what explains the 1400amps on the volt meter? I'm looking for the chemical breakdown and the physical acts that cause this so I can look for it next time. I know the battery is dead and must be replaced- what I don't know is why?<br />
<br />
It has been recharged about a dozen times and is 2 years old.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-17, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Terminology! First, it's not reading 13.75 then 14.00 AMPS. It's reading VOLTS. Right after charging even a battery with no capacity left may read the SURFACE CHARGE. 8 hrs later it may be down 3 volts even with no load. Attach something as small as a few 12V lightbulbs and it may act dead within minutes. The load tester, if it's functioning correctly, simulates a heavy load such as a starter motor or similar being placed on the battery and measures the known parameters it should read at that load. If it does not meet voltage or required amperage..it fails.

Is the battery actually bad after the tester says so, or is the tester faulty? Did you try to use it to power something after charging?

How are you charging? Slamming it with 20 or 50 amps from a quick charge machine for 30 min or a slow and steady 2 amps for overnight?

Recharging at a high rate from fully dead is about the worst thing you can do to a battery.

Old 10-02-17, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,027 Votes on 953 Posts
Recharging at a high rate from fully dead is about the worst thing you can do to a battery.
Followed closely by allowing a discharged battery to freeze. If the battery freezes.... toss it as it cannot recover.

Batteries kept on a constant slow charger will sulfate. That is the lead plates will build up crystals that cause a short between plates. Once this happens it's hard to correct. A good brisk charging once a month will keep batteries fresher and more usable.

Chargeable batteries need to be used. They need to be discharged and recharged. Just sitting isn't healthy for them. This goes for lead acid as well as power tool batteries.

Old 10-02-17, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
And to expound even more...a maintenance charger is different than just a slow charger. If you have no power at the cabin, it's moot. If you bring them home for months at a time, a maintenance charger would be good to connect them to after they have been charged and tested good.

Old 10-03-17, 08:51 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, my terminology was in fault, most likely because I had to haul that thing, as heavy as it is, up a mountain. The load tester I use frequently out here mostly to test 9 different types of tractor batteries, and considering what it cost and the brand name Dewalt, it is just one of those tools that cost a small fortune only to be used ever so often.

That is what I though that something has deterred the lead-making it to weak to produce electrons-and those that it produces are a hollow charge that doesn't last.

Something else. This house was built in 1903 however the barn was built in 1882 out of cedar still as stout as the day it was built. I found the elements of an electricity making machine. It had a huge wheel out of lead and possibly brass that that you set in motion with a crank.

In the original movie 'The Woman in Black' Keckwick takes the solicitor to a shed and that appears to be the same machine-an odd form of generator.

What was the machine and how did it work? It last about 6 hours per crank. I'm certain there are parts of that machine are here along with parts of a Still that during probation they made a small fortune out here. That copper corn vessel is worth a small fortune today.

Old 10-03-17, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Depending on what you have there and what you want to spend, you can make your solar system better. This will make your batts last past 5 years or more, especially if you get sealed batts that you dont have to add water..

1. A residential panel would be best as its higher voltage.
2. an MPPT controller is best match to a higher voltage panel. Especially a 4 stage with equalization mode.

Often cabins have some type of electrical panel and an inverter would power it off the batterys...