Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Added a light fixture now have no lights and dead switches....big mess

Old 10-03-17, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone.
I thought this was going to be an easy project, add a ceiling box in a room and tap into the light in the ceiling in the same room. I made a diagram of the ceiling box, mounted my second box, ran a short leg of romex to the new box. Piece of cake huh? I put my wires back together in the first ceiling box, turned on the breaker and it blew......fast forward to now. I have located my hot wire from the breaker into the first box, went through that box to my second box and the second box has power.
The problem is I guess this circuit feeds my porch lights and the light in the foyer. I now have 3 lights that don't work, 6 switches that don't work and two lights that have constant power.
All my switches are still made up but the two dead ceiling boxes the wires are separated. I was trying to trace where they are going to figure out the entire circuit.
Nothing is re-coded at any box or switch and I have found switched neutrals in this house before.
I am going to go back to trying to figure out what wire goes where in the ceiling boxes but wanted to go ahead and ask - what do you guys need from me to be able to help me sort this out?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-17, 09:24 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are there a 3 way switches involved somewhere? In other words, can any of the lights be operated from 2 different locations?

Old 10-03-17, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
If the power to the circuit first appears at the light then you have a switch loop. You probably tied the switch loop in like an active power cable creating a short.

Please take and post a picture or two of you wiring. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

A cable count is handy too. Like.....
3) two wire cables. (grounds not counted in cable count)
1) three wire cable

I know at the very least you have 4) two wire cables.
1) power in
1) power out
1) switch loop
1) new light cable

Old 10-03-17, 09:51 AM
Thanks!.....I think I might have tied them backwards....I am going back to wire the first box again and will come back with either good results or my wire counts, my diagrams and my pictures.
Yes, there looks to be a 4 way with the top two terminals wired together, the rest are all 3 way and one 4 way. This house has switches everywhere.
Thanks again,

Old 10-03-17, 11:15 AM
Thanks again guys, good news - I had read my diagram wrong and basically wired the first box backwards. I will be glad to post my diagrams if they would help anyone in the future but again....I really appreciate the help.

Old 10-03-17, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
Now need to post the diagrams as every problem is a different wiring diagram. Just glad you got your problem straightened out.