Electrical Issues post breaker install

Old 10-04-17, 09:46 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical Issues post breaker install

Hello,

I moved into a house about 4 months ago. Noticed lights would dim if we used a microwave, washer/dryer but all worked ok. Recently cable was going out and was told by Comcast our house was trying to use their cable as an out, their wire was fried. A surge shot through the house and burnt out bulbs. An electrician came and installed a new breaker completely, installed a ground rod and a wire for our heat pump (was only 40 amp wire into a 80 amp breaker. Installed a 100 amp to our attic for the heat pump).

After install, issues have gotten much worse. I was testing appliances and pushing a toaster down put out our TV and cable box (did not trip the breaker). I tried a vacuum and that tripped 2 breakers right away. Electrician came back and said to try the electric company to look into a transformer issue. Said he could come back and have to check all outlets of the entire house to fix the issue.

Would anyone have any suggestions? It's been a week and it's at the point if we watch TV we turn off the lights to try to prevent tripping a breaker.

Appreciate any and all help, it's been a nightmare.

Last edited by Huger99; 10-04-17 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-04-17, 10:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 746 Votes on 685 Posts
"An electrician came and installed a new breaker completely, installed a ground rod and a wire for our heat pump (was only 40 volt wire into a 80 volt breaker. Installed a 100 volt)." I assume you confusing volts and amps. In that case you had wire capable of handling 40 amps and the wire size was increased to 80 amp capacity. Where were those wires run? What was the 100 amp item that was installed?

Old 10-04-17, 10:14 AM
H
Sorry, yes it was amp and it went from the garage up to our attic where our heat pump is located. Was told that was not the cause of the issues we're having (we haven't even used the heat yet) but was a suggested fix.

Old 10-04-17, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Call the power company emergency number now and get their connection checked. It sounds like you have serious problems. If they don't find anything on the supply side the connections in the panel need to be checked.

Old 10-04-17, 10:59 AM
H
OK I have a call to the power company now to check. Electrician came back this morning to check their work on the panel and said it was correctly set up. They said a lot of the issues they saw when walking the house was "cosmetic" but would need to go room by room and address all issues they found.

Very frustrating since there were no huge issues before other than flickering lights and now after spending thousands the condition has gotten much worse.

Old 10-04-17, 12:33 PM
H
UPDATE: Was told by the electric company they found a bad neutral and "secondary ground fault" and have a ticket to fix. I wonder how much this will help solve the issues I've been having.

Old 10-04-17, 02:02 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
That repair should make a significant improvement. Something described as a "secondary ground fault" usually ends in a transformer fire.

Old 10-04-17, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
A bad neutral was causing all the 120v circuits to use the grounding system in your house as neutral.

The secondary ground fault sounds more like a problem caused by their missing neutral or in actuality.... their missing ground to their transformer. I'm surprised no one else near you has experienced the same problem. It should have affected everyone on the same transformer.

Old 10-10-17, 09:29 AM
H
So they finally came and fixed the issue on their side and everything works great again. It's a shame we spend all the money to have the new circuit breaker but it did clean up a lot of messy wiring and upgraded to new. Also got the heat pump the appropriate wiring to function properly.

Even something the electrician noticed- (a light switch in the kitchen would turn off a fan in the bathroom down the hall) has been corrected. I'll still have an electrician come to check it all again but it's a relief to have a house where we can use appliances again without turning things off!

I appreciate all the help from those on here, this is a great resource and helpful community!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: