Help With Burned PC Power Cord

Old 10-04-17, 11:28 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help With Burned PC Power Cord

I recently hooked up a computer to my TV with HDMI and when I plugged in the power cord it burned up starting at the end by the surge protector and worked its way up to the PC. The outlet and surge protector as well as TV and PC were fine, just the power cord. We then tried another power cord and it was OK but went to plug the HDMI cord in and it sparked. I'm thinking it was a faulty power cord and the PC spiked and fried the end of the HDMI that I didn't notice but I'm not sure. I used a receptacle tester and it shows both outlets are grounded. No circuit breaker or surge protector tripped. Should I get an electrician to look at the outlets or is this likely a bad power cord issue?

Old 10-04-17, 12:56 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Do you still get the spark on the HDMI cable if the PC and the TV are plugged into the same power receptacle?

Have you had any other electrical symptoms in the house such as brightening or flickering lights?

Old 10-04-17, 01:09 PM
T
No, I haven't tried plugging them into the same receptacle. I bought a larger surge protector so I could plug everything into the same one because while researching I saw sometimes the receptacles might be grounded but not on the same ground which can cause a loop??? There has been no other issues at all with the house or that room, outlet etc. My TV, Dish, Xbox, Blu Ray are all plugged in.

Old 10-04-17, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,973 Votes on 2,682 Posts
Something you have there has line voltage on the ground. You would need a meter to check from a known ground.... like a receptacle plate screw... to each device looking for 120vac.

Old 10-04-17, 01:56 PM
T
Wouldn't having line voltage on the ground cause issues with my other electronics? I have had everything else plugged in for years with no issues.

Old 10-04-17, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe.... but the ground is not required to make the equipment operate. It's there as a safety.

Your computer is grounded. Your TV is basically not unless it uses a three prong power plug.

It sounds to me that your TV has a power supply short to the chassis which would make the metal parts of the TV hot. This is a problem that I have personally seen before and has appeared in the forums too.

Without checking with a meter..... there is just a lot of guessing and discussion.

Old 10-04-17, 02:19 PM
T
I know my TV only has 2 prongs so is not grounded. Would plugging everything into the same power strip/receptacle work or do you recommend having it looked at?

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 10-04-17, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
You've already had a major meltdown there. It needs to be addressed.
It has nothing to do with the power strip.

You mentioned all the items you plug into the surge protector. I'm guessing they are all two prong plugs with the desktop computer being the only three prong plug.

In some cases we've seen the cable line not be grounded and it's shield live. Connecting that to a TV will cause the TV chassis to become live.

If you don't have a meter than you'll need to get an electrician. Specifically the chassis of the TV.... any of the metal connectors will do.... needs to be checked with respect to a KNOWN good ground.

I don't know if you've tried turning the TV on but I would doubt it's working now.

Old 10-05-17, 08:29 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Also be aware that the TV chassis could be "grounded" through another telecom input, for example a cable running to an antenna mast. A path like this may be the source of the stray voltage, especially if it is a different "ground" than the one used by the electrical system.

Old 10-09-17, 06:11 AM
T
The tv and pc still worked fine We had an electrician cone out and they couldnt find anything so we tried it again that night. Yeah, now the tv and computer graphics card are fried. Electrician came back out and Said there was 1 outlet on the circuit that was wired incorrectly with the neutral and another wire reversed but said this wouldn't cause the problem.

I did mention the hot chassis thing to him and he had no idea what I was talking about. The only cable line coming in is from dish network and its plugged into the cable box and the cable box plugged in via hdmi. Could this still cause a hot chassis even though the coax isn't plugged into the tv?

Old 10-09-17, 04:58 PM
H
Received 250 Votes on 216 Posts
Is the coax grounded to something outside? Like a lightning rod or iron pipe?
Is the coax grounded to something inside? Like a power supply?

I've had cable tv cable years ago, which passed through a blue spruce, that happened to be in contact with local distribution lines. Not a problem on a dry day, but with a good rain storm, and you'd get a heck of 60 cycle hum, and a fairly good shock if you unscrewed the cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: