Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Blank panel/Box in exterior wall - What do I need to install outlets here?

Old 10-07-17, 11:27 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'd like to add some more exterior outlets in my backyard and I noticed a blank panel halfway up a wall. I removed the blank plate and there are a bunch of electrical wires. I've attached a picture of the receptacle. I need to first figure out what circuit these wires go to, but assuming they are usable, what sort of box/cover would I need to put a couple outlets here. I'd like to use an in use weatherproof box if possible. Thanks for the help.

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-17, 05:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
It appears you have multiple circuits in that box. First thing to do is to make sure the wires are hot, and that you have a neutral available. This should be done with a meter so that you can measure 120 volts. You can also use the meter to identify what circuit breaker/fuse they go to.

After you figure that out you can add your devices. Since it is outdoors you will need to install a GFCI for each circuit you are using. If you are only using one, the other receptacle of the two gang and can be a standard receptacle. The standard receptacle will be fed off the LOAD terminals of the GFCI. All receptacles you install will need to be weather proof (Marked WP) devices.

Lastly you will need a 2 gang in-use cover to prevent water getting in even if you have something plugged into the devices.

Old 10-08-17, 05:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
I see at least 6 wire nuts leading me to guess 3 circuits. Pull wires out of box leave wires nuts on and we can help direct you a little. Still need meter to check.

Old 10-08-17, 11:06 AM
T
Hey, thanks for the information. I will get a meter and safely test the cables to see that I am getting line voltage and to determine the hot/neutral.

Sounds like I can fairly easily add two 1-gang outlets with one GFCI here and use a weatherproof cover. Let's say though that I might want to extend this circuit via conduit over to a covered patio for lighting. Would I just use a 2-gang weatherproof extension ring, mount a 2-gang weatherproof box with 1/2" threaded connectors onto the current box? I suppose I need to figure out how much slack I have to work with in the cables and see if I can extent the box out from the wall any more.

Old 10-08-17, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
Yes. Add a weatherproof extension ring and then run the conduit using the proper fittings for a wet location. The extension ring can just be covered using a weather proof blank or the devices we have already discussed.

Old 10-08-17, 12:23 PM
T
Ok cool, this is all starting to make sense. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: