Fan motor starts, but weird

Old 10-08-17, 06:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fan motor starts, but weird

I installed a ceiling fan last night. But when I start it it turns on and off on and off for about 10 seconds. I think this is an electrical problem, any thoughts?

Here is a link to a 30 second video showing the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q55q...ature=youtu.be

Jason

Last edited by ray2047; 10-08-17 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Correct link
Old 10-08-17, 08:46 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it one of those fans that have a remote control?

Old 10-08-17, 08:54 AM
J
Yes

Yes, it came with a remote.

Old 10-11-17, 07:01 PM
J
A quick update. I took the fan back to Lowes and exchanged it for another one. The new one does the exact same thing... I have no idea what this is. I thought maybe the first one had a bad capacitor, but it seems unlikely that I would get two in a row with bad capacitors. Any thoughts?

Jason

Old 10-11-17, 07:16 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the wall switch in the on position all the time & you are running the fan by the remote? Is there a light assembly on the fan? If so, does it also have the same problem?

Old 10-12-17, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 597 Votes on 512 Posts
Is there a help line in the instructions? It seams odd but it might be "normal". I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

Old 10-12-17, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
I SEE in the video that the light on the fan is operating normally and does not dim when the fan starts. Can we assume that are is only a white and black wire in the ceiling for connection to ?

If that's yes..... then the problem is solely with the fan.

Old 10-15-17, 06:40 AM
J
More information

Yes, there is only a white and a black wire. The installation instructions are very clear that this is the correct way to install so no confusion there. Yes, the light switch is on all the time, and the fan is being controlled by the remote. The light seems to work with no problems, it appears the installation is good, I have installed many lights and fans in the past with no problem. The fan is marketed by Lowe's as a Harbor Breeze, that is a name that Lowe's uses so there is no manufacturing line to call, only Lowes. I called them and they had no idea why it is behaving the way that it is. I read the instructions and looked online and I found no indication that this is normal behavior. The only thing I can think of is that Lowe's got a shipment of fans with bad capacitors and that both of the fans I have installed both have the same problem. I don't really know, but I guess I will return this fan and install a third one today. Ughh, I am tired of installing and uninstalling this fan!

Old 10-15-17, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
I would get a different model or go to a different branch.
If it's a bad batch..... the cycle will continue,.

Old 10-16-17, 05:00 PM
J
Third fans works better...

Good advice, but hard to do. Wife likes this model based on looks and it is hard to find the time to drive to another town for another Lowe's. I swapped out for a third fan this weekend and it works... Sort of. When I hit the fan button on the remote this one turns backwards for a second, stutters forward one time, then takes off like it is supposed to. It seems mostly normal, as in it is conceivable that it was designed to work like this. I will point out that on setting four of six it makes a clicking sound. I'm so damn sick of this fan that I'm done. If any of you get a chance to buy a $200 Saratoga fan marketed as a Harbor Breeze at Lowe's stay away.... This quality of product is why I'll cross the street to Home Depot... For a different brand of big box store junk.

Old 10-16-17, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
I'm more of a Hunter man. Fewer problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: