Outlets switch polarity when 3 way light switch is used.

Old 10-08-17, 10:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outlets switch polarity when 3 way light switch is used.

OK, this is a crazy one for me. I live in a hundred + year old house. When I turn on the third floor lights (three way) the polarity changes in all the third floor outlets. It doesn't matter whether I use the second or third floor switch. When the ceiling lights are on the polarity is correct. When the ceiling lights are off the polarity changes to incorrect. Can someone tell me how this can happen, and more importantly, how do I fix it.

Old 10-08-17, 10:55 AM
P
Received 212 Votes on 180 Posts
Seeing how AC current doesn't have polarity I'm at a loss as to what you are talking about.

Old 10-08-17, 11:00 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since the house is 100 years old, chances are that some of the electrical work is not original. Try to find where the old meets the new. For example, some of it might be BX & part of it Romex.

Old 10-08-17, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,983 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you are using a non contact tester to check. If that is correct.... put it away and get an analog meter or two probe tester. If you are using a plug-in receptacle tester.... put it away too.

Old 10-08-17, 11:54 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Your three-way circuit is possibly using an unlawful scheme that switches the neutral wire. If so, the receptacles are being fed downstream of this unlawful circuit. You would need to re-wire the whole mess using modern cable.

Old 10-08-17, 03:44 PM
M
Sorry, my bad. Polarity was the wrong word. What is happening is that the "hot" and "neutral" change in the receptacle depending on the 3 way light switch position. I have attached pictures that may explain it better.

Attached Images   
Old 10-08-17, 04:38 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
We need to know about all the wiring at both 3-way switches and the light. We subsequently need to determine where the power for the light comes in and where the first receptacle is connected. To keep it simple first tell us about all the connections at the switches and light.

Old 10-09-17, 08:18 AM
H
It sounds like the switch is cutting the neutral instead of the hot at one end, and the traveler is making the connection. I had a similar issue in my home; the previous owner made a lot of DIY electrical mistakes like this. You need to identify your line and load and where the switch is fed from the panel. Then make sure the hot (usually black) wire is the one attached to the switch, not the white (neutral).

Old 10-09-17, 11:27 AM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
Your three-way circuit is possibly using an unlawful scheme that switches the neutral wire.

I've seen this before. No one would have ever known had the 3-way switches not burned up within a day or two.

Old 10-13-17, 07:04 AM
M
Thanks Guys,
Sorry I've been away for awhile. I'm going to open all the boxes and see what the wiring looks like. Hank8, you are probably right. I'll report back and let you know what I find.
Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: