Dead outlet next to live switch

Old 10-10-17, 10:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dead outlet next to live switch

In my home office I've got a light switch that shares a gang box with an outlet. This outlet would be extremely handy if it worked. I've taken the cover off and checked for loose connections and/or cut wires and can't find anything. All connections and wire nuts are snug. The switch a single pole switch which turns on the lights for the desk. With a voltage tester the black and white wire for the outlet are not hot/live. All breakers for the house are on and no GFCIs are tripped. Other outlets in the same room and in a cabinet less than 18" away work just fine. There is a couple of switched outlets around the room that work just fine as well.

Any ideas on how to track this down?

Attached Images   
Old 10-10-17, 11:42 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
If by voltage tester you mean a non contact tester it is useless for real testing.

Show us the wiring at the light or receptacle the switch controls.

Note backstabs are unreliable. Even if not the problem the switch wires need to be moved to the screws.

Old 10-10-17, 11:51 AM
M
There is no switch that I can find that controls the outlet. I included the pic in the first post of the switch which is right next to the outlet. The switch I included controls the lights on the desk.

Old 10-10-17, 12:09 PM
M
Although they are next to each other, the outlet is not powered. Switch controls lights on the desk.

Attached Images  
Old 10-10-17, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Pull the wires out of box so we can see connections, Do not disconnect anything. Careful some may be powered.

Old 10-11-17, 05:28 AM
M
Here is a picture of the connections.

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-17, 11:06 AM
M
I found in the drawers beneath the desk another outlet that is dead. I took a picture of that as well. I'm stumped, all other outlets work fine besides the outlet next to switch and this one.

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-17, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In the picture with the duel box can't tell what wire go to. need to see outlet and switch also pull wires out of box some so we can see where they go. Do you have a volt meter? Not a non contact tester. I don't see anything wrong with single outlet unless wires loose in wire nuts.

Old 10-11-17, 02:07 PM
M
Volt meter shows nothing for either neutral or black wire for that outlet. Switch and outlet in dual box each have different 3-wire feeds coming into box. Separate lines.

Old 10-11-17, 04:36 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Volt meter shows nothing for either neutral or black wire for that outlet.
Was that just poorly worded. You don't measure one wire. You measure two wires. Did you measure hot to neutral and hot to ground?

Old 10-12-17, 09:44 AM
M
Measured both hot to neutral and hot to ground for the outlet in question and the outlet I discovered behind a desk drawer.

Old 10-12-17, 01:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If that is the case than switch has nothing to do with your problem. Take wire nut off black wires of dead outlet in switch box and read black to white or ground, If still 0 problem is upstream of that location. Next take wire nuts off dead under desk and check voltage there. Hope it is in one of those places or most likely last working outlet in circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: