Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Running Surface Conduit From a Recessed Box

NJ

10-11-17, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Running Surface Conduit From a Recessed Box

Provided below is picture of a recessed box on the wall of my house approximately 2' above the deck. I would like to tap into this recessed box for power to supply security cameras under the deck. I would like to run surface mounted PVC conduit from this box down below the deck, The recessed box is plastic. Is there a proper way to exit the box with THWN and transition to surface mounted PVC?

Thanks for the Help

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

10-11-17, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)  
You can use a weatherproof (FS) box extension. They come in PVC or metal diecast. The one in the picture has 4 hubs. They also make them with 2 hubs.

Name:  fs extender.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  16.0 KB

~ Pete ~

NJ

10-11-17, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)  
PJmax, thank you as always for your assistance. Are these generally available at the big box home centers?

Group Moderator

NJ

10-11-17, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Yes... the home improvement stores do have them.

~ Pete ~

NJ

10-11-17, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)  
one last question - The home improvement center only had THHN in 50' rolls. When I asked the floor person for THWN, he said "its the same thing and you can use THHN for outdoor use". I held off buying pending confirmation. Based on my reading of posts on this forum I did not think that was correct.

Group Moderator

TX

10-11-17, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Don't ask the salesperson. Look at the printing on the wire. If it says THHN/THWN you are good to go. Almost all of the wire sold is dual rated. If it says only THHN on the wire then no it can't be used outside.

It is common for BigBox to mislabel dual rated wire as THHN in their promotional material and the person helping you may have had little or no electrical training and is going by BigBox's incorrect signage.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

NJ

10-11-17, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Thanks Ray - Appreciate your response

Group Moderator

TX

10-11-17, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)  
My "why" guess: Since THWN wire can be used both indoors and outdoors it make little sense for the manufacturer to make wire that is specifically THHN only. Maybe THHN is a bit cheaper and for specific commercial jobs such as wiring whole buildings it makes sense to go with THHN and for that need THHN might be manufactured and wholesaled but retail it makes little sense to stock and sell both.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Search this Thread