Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Woods digital timer switch wiring

10-11-17, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Woods digital timer switch wiring

My outdoor porch and garage lights are controlled by a switch inside by the front door and by another switch that is right inside the garage door. The switch inside has a white, red, black and copper wire. The switch in the garage has one set of wires in the box that have black, white, red and copper and another set of wires that have a white, black and copper. I'm trying to install woods digital timer switch so I can have the outside lights come on at night. I can't seem to get it wired correctly. I've attached a picture showing that back of the switch inside and the back of the switch in the garage plus the new switch I want to wire. The new switch has a black, white, red and green. Hopefully someone can provide some help. I haven't had much luck looking online. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

Last edited by ray2047; 10-11-17 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Separate and enlarge images.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

TX

10-11-17, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)  
The switch inside has a white, red, black and copper wire.
I don't see any other wires. Is that correct.

The switch in the garage has one set of wires in the box that have black, white, red and copper and another set of wires that have a white, black and copper.
Are those the only wires? I don't see more. Is the wire on the common terminal of the switch from the 2-conductor cable (black, white) or the 3-conductor cable (white, black, red).

is the switch intended for use on a 3-way circuit. The switch does not seem to have enough wires for a 3-way circuit. What does the instructions say? Please post the model number.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-12-17 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Revised after enlarging images enough to clearly see them.

NH

10-12-17, 04:25 AM   #3 (permalink)  
What is the model number of the timer?can you post the wiring Dia? I doubt that is a 3 way timer.
Geo

10-12-17, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)  
It is the Woods model 59019 indoor 7 day digital timer with astronomic feature.

Really I just want the switch to work. I don't necessarily need the switch inside to work anymore. My plan is to set the new switch that is wired in the garage so the lights turn on every day at dusk. I wouldn't really need the switch inside anymore since they will turn on automatic. Thanks for any help.

Attached Images

WA

10-12-17, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Pull the other wires from the garage switch box but DO NOT disconnect them. I need to see how they are all interconnected. It is possible that you do not have a "neutral" wire in the box and if so you will not be able to use this particular time switch.

10-12-17, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Hopefully you can see the wires. It's kind of hard to get a good picture inside the box.

Attached Images

WA

10-12-17, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)  
That white wire connected to the bare copper wires is absolutely WRONG. I now see there are additional wires (white?) in the house box, please pull them out and post a picture.

I hate to say this but the white and copper wires tied together lead me to believe this was work done by an unknowing previous homeowner and it may need to be completely redone.

10-12-17, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Looks like there was a lot more going on behind the switches in the house. There are six groups of wires in the box. Sorry the pictures are all turned sideways in the previous post. Not sure why it is doing that.

Attached Images

Group Moderator

TX

10-12-17, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)  
First thing you need to do is totally disconnect the 2-conductor cable at the garage and measure from black to white with a multimeter, preferably analog. Not sure what can be done yet. This is almost a have to be there to figure it out situation. All we can tell for now is the wiring to the garage is wrong.

Is the garage attached or detached.

10-12-17, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)  
It's an attached garage. I'm not sure I'm clear by what you mean by conductor cable.

10-12-17, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)  
When I first got the switch I installed it inside. I connected all the wires from the old light switch, White, red, black and copper to the new switch. Red to red. Black to Black, white to white. and green to copper. Seemed like the obvious way to wire it. The new switch itself had power to it and would click on and off but the lights outside wouldn't turn on. When I would flip the garage switch off and on the lights would flicker and turn off. Not sure if that info is of any help.

Group Moderator

TX

10-12-17, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)  
A cable is two or more wires in a metallic or nonmetallic sheath. Romex is an example. A 2-conductor cable contains a black and white wire. A 3-conductor cable contains a black, red, and white wire. Newer cables may contain a bare ground wire but it is not counted.

The basic problem now it the circuit is wrong. It must be rewired correctly before we can figure out how to wire the switch. The circuit seems to be using a ground as a neutral. that is unsafe and must be corrected first. If the timer is not for a three way switch then when that problem is corrected the circuit must be rewired to not be a 3-way circuit. It is too soon in testing to know what will need to be done before the timer can be connected.

For reasons of safety I would suggest disconnecting that white from the ground wires and capping the white with a wire nut. It will probably disable the garage light but at least you will be safe.

Attached Images

Last edited by ray2047; 10-12-17 at 02:29 PM.

NH

10-12-17, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)  
Which one of these boxes has the cable going to the light?definetly remove the white from the bare conductors.
Geo

Group Moderator

NJ

10-12-17, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)  
The single three way switch in the garage looks to have the two wire cable that feeds the light.
Which of the switches inside is the one coming out... right or left ?

It shouldn't be too hard to rewire the circuit. Right now the travelers are white and red. As long as the inside is being disconnected you should be able to rewire the white as neutral.

More to follow when the switch is ID'ed.

~ Pete ~

10-12-17, 08:13 PM   #15 (permalink)  
Posted By: PJmax The single three way switch in the garage looks to have the two wire cable that feeds the light.
Which of the switches inside is the one coming out... right or left ?

It shouldn't be too hard to rewire the circuit. Right now the travelers are white and red. As long as the inside is being disconnected you should be able to rewire the white as neutral.

More to follow when the switch is ID'ed.
The switch on the left in the picture is the switch controlling the lights outside.

Group Moderator

NJ

10-12-17, 08:33 PM   #16 (permalink)  
Ok..... a question. Do these two switches operate more than one light ?

In your main box I see a two wire cable getting switched power from that three way circuit. Then I see another cable at the garage end doing the same thing. That tells me that someone tapped a second light on at the garage.

~ Pete ~

10-12-17, 09:13 PM   #17 (permalink)  
The picture with the box that has two switches in it (the switch inside the house) has two switches. The one on the left controls the 5 porch lights. The switch on the right controls a ceiling light right above the area where the switch is. The switch that is in the garage only turns the 5 porch lights on or off. Hopefully that answers your question. Let me know if you need more info.

Group Moderator

NJ

10-12-17, 09:37 PM   #18 (permalink)  
As mentioned previously..... disconnect the white wire from the bare in the garage.
What happens ? Does something stop working ?

That circuit is not wired correctly.

~ Pete ~

Group Moderator

NJ

10-12-17, 10:14 PM   #19 (permalink)  
Just to keep this moving. I'm fairly certain that the two wire cable connected to the garage switch needs to be disconnected. It was added in to pick up bootleg power. Now.... if whatever that cable is needs power..... the timer would have to go inside with no more switch in the garage. So if that's the case.... don't do what I'm describing below as it will need to be changed.

In the picture.... remove the three wires from the switch. Connect the black and red together. Cap it. Connect the white wire to the neutral splice. There are now no wires on the switch.

At the garage end..... connect the white wire to switch white. Connect the black wire to switch red. Connect the red wire to switch black. That should do it. Don't reconnect that two wire cable now.

Name:  w1.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  55.2 KB

~ Pete ~

NH

10-13-17, 04:08 AM   #20 (permalink)  
Is that switch with the neutral and ground tied together in the garage?
Geo

10-13-17, 07:56 AM   #21 (permalink)  
Posted By: PJmax Just to keep this moving. I'm fairly certain that the two wire cable connected to the garage switch needs to be disconnected. It was added in to pick up bootleg power. Now.... if whatever that cable is needs power..... the timer would have to go inside with no more switch in the garage. So if that's the case.... don't do what I'm describing below as it will need to be changed.

In the picture.... remove the three wires from the switch. Connect the black and red together. Cap it. Connect the white wire to the neutral splice. There are now no wires on the switch.

At the garage end..... connect the white wire to switch white. Connect the black wire to switch red. Connect the red wire to switch black. That should do it. Don't reconnect that two wire cable now.

Attachment 86078
Ok so somewhat success!!!. The lights outside now turn on and off using the new switch that I installed in the garage. There is one light that is on the porch that isn't turning on. It is the closest light to the garage switch. It is on the other side of the wall from the switch. Are the two wire cable that is in the garage box that I didn't connect probably for that light? Which wires should they connect to?

10-13-17, 10:22 AM   #22 (permalink)  
Thanks everybody so much for the help. We just moved into this house a couple months ago so it's frustrating trying to figure out what someone else did with the wiring. I was able to figure out how to wire up those last two wires. The lights now turn on and off using the new switch I installed in the garage. Thanks again.

Group Moderator

TX

10-13-17, 10:58 AM   #23 (permalink)  
You did disconnect the neutral from the ground didn't you?

10-13-17, 11:52 AM   #24 (permalink)  
Yes I did disconnect the neutral from the grounds.

Group Moderator

TX

10-13-17, 12:19 PM   #25 (permalink)  
Very good. Nice job, well done.

Search this Thread