Is this a hidden J box?

Old 10-14-17, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is this a hidden J box?

I have to move a wall outlet over a few feet so the one feed is now long (no problem!) and the other too short. I want to add a supply cable from the new outlet location and tie it into the short cable in a J box in the attic. I want to mount the attic box on the side of the ceiling joists in the attic - not on the top. When I replace the fiberglass insulation, the box will be covered by 1-2 inches of insulation.

To me, the box is NOT hidden (and an inspection issue) because a modest pullback of the insulation will expose it fully.

Am I right or wrong about this? (hopefully right - I've done it before)

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-17, 11:08 AM
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Depends if you consider insulation as part of the building. Box should be accessible without removing any part of the building. Personally I feel the box should be left where it can be seen and accessible without having to remove the insulation.

Old 10-14-17, 11:14 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The word you want is accessible, not hidden. As pattenp states the box must be accessible without moving any kind of structure and loose insulation is not structure. I agree with him that having the box above the insulation is best but you could make a sign (with arrow?) pointing to the box and place the sign in a visible area.

Old 10-15-17, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Not what I want to hear, but I get it.

Old 10-15-17, 07:15 AM
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
We are saying you can cover it with the insulation. But for having to possibly find the box in the future it's best to put some kind of marker to show where it is. Code doesn't require the marker, it's just nice for someone in the future to know the box is there.