Doorbell Transformer Question - 16V 30VA vs 24V 20VA

Old 10-14-17, 11:27 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Doorbell Transformer Question - 16V 30VA vs 24V 20VA

I have a Ring Doorbell that was recently replaced. I am still having some power related issues, so I'm pretty sure that I need to upgrade the transformer. I currently have a 16V 10VA transformer. I thought that this was fine, but I read online that the 10VA may be insufficient. Someone indicated that they had great results using a 16V 30VA transformer. Another person had good luck with a 24V 20VA version. Can someone explain the difference and help me understand which one would be better for my situation? I have a pretty simple setup. It's only one door and a digital chime. I noticed the specs for my door chime list a maximum of 16V. I don't know if it's an issue to run 24V to it. I appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Old 10-14-17, 11:41 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Increasing the VA rating is good, you cannot go too high. I would stay with the 16 volts, though as higher voltage could decrease the life of your chime.

Old 10-14-17, 11:43 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
Increasing the VA rating is good, you cannot go too high. I would stay with the 16 volts, though as higher voltage could decrease the life of your chime.
Thatís exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: