Receptacle Replacement Question ?

Old 10-15-17, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Receptacle Replacement Question ?

Hello Everyone – I need some advice to better understand what my options are on replacing a receptacle. I have a basement workshop that has a 4” metal box that contains a 15amp duplex receptacle and a single “old style” 20amp receptacle (at least that’s what it says on it). The breaker behind this dedicated line is 30amp and the cable is 10/3 BX (no ground). I want to use this line to power some of my tools – miter saw, drill press, etc… but am somewhat confused as to what kind of receptacles would conform to code. Can I run a standard 20amp receptacle off the 10/3 30amp breaker? Since the cable is BX and the box is metal – can I ground whatever receptacles I use to the box ? I was also considering running this cable to a junction box and then splitting off from their. I attached a couple of pictures and would interested in suggestions on how I can I use this. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-17, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
You can use two receptacles to replace the existing ones. You can extend that circuit into two separate circuits. You need to replace the 30A breaker with a 20A breaker. You cannot be running standard 120v items off a 30A breaker.

Old 10-17-17, 06:09 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Plug replacement

What ever you decide the circuit must be GFCI protected in which case the “J” box may be the best option, install the GFCI receptacle in one box then feed the other receptacle on a the load side from it,
10 /3 can stay but must be refused for 20 Amps.
Geo

Old 10-17-17, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you both for the responses - I will swap out the breaker.

One question while I have this thread open. If I were to add a 20amp GFC and then a junction box to add a few more receptacles, do I need to run 10WG? or can I step down to 12? I have no issue running 10, just curious. Thank you again

Old 10-18-17, 12:13 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If the breaker is 20 amp you can drop to #12 but you might want to leave a warning in the breaker panel the circuit contains #12.