Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replacing a standard switch with a timer switch with 3 black wires in the jbox

Old 10-16-17, 09:12 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am trying to replace a single pole switch that operates an outside light with a Defiant 3-way timer switch (can be used as a single pole installation). I currently have three black wires attached to the existing switch (one at the top and two at the bottom). All three white wires are connected with a wire nut and all of the ground wires are connected and grounded to the box. The wiring diagram for the timer switch can be found at http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...2468505d93.pdf.

On the upstream side of the line wire I have a refrigerator and on the downstream side are other receptacles. I tried multiple different connections, none of which resulted in the switch operating the outside light while still allowing power to remain to the upstream and downstream appliance/receptacles. The closest that I came was to have the switch operated the outside light but also the fridge (obviously not ideal nor correct).

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? The only thing that I can possibly come up with is that I need to add in a wire from the neutral connection of the timer switch to the bundle of white wires already connected in the box.

Old 10-16-17, 10:23 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
two at the bottom
That is a lazy man's splice. Best to connect the two wires to a pigtail and the pigtail to the switch. If you get them mixed up nothing will work correctly.

Old 10-16-17, 10:36 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So I assume that means that one of the bottom wires is the line wire and can be connected to the line terminal of the new switch. By connecting the other lower black wire to it as well, the third wire (presently connected to the top of the existing switch) would be connected to the load terminal of the new switch. This would allow the circuit interrupt for the light fixture when in the "off" position while still maintaining current to everything else on that circuit, correct? Also, there would be no reason to do anything any different with the neutral wires?

Old 10-16-17, 06:05 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
By connecting the other lower black wire to it as well, the third wire (presently connected to the top of the existing switch) would be connected to the load terminal of the new switch.
If the timer has leads you can just connect the two wires but if it has screws you must pigtail because you can't have two wires under one screw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: