Trying to Install a WINK switch which requires a neutral

Old 10-17-17, 01:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Trying to Install a WINK switch which requires a neutral

Hello,
I know enough about electrical where I can shut off the main breaker to change out a light switch or outlet....that's it!

I did purchase recently a WINK RELAY wall panel with 2 switches - which would take the place of the 2 gang/2 switch box that is currently there. The problem - the wiring of these 2 switches (that control outlets) look a bit freaky from a wiring standpoint. WINK states that a NEUTRAL is required to install their WALL RELAY.

I have included pics of the current wiring setup along with the recommended double switch setup for the WINK.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
JP

Attached Images   
Old 10-17-17, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You don't have a neutral at that location.

White = hot in to the switches
Red = switched out to one light.
Black = switched out to one light.

Old 10-17-17, 01:21 PM
J
Big Thanks Pete!

Any easy way to get a neutral there? Is it possible that an entire house can be wired without a Neutral...that is if I cannot install a neutral at this may I have better success at another?
TY

Old 10-17-17, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Since that is a three wire cable it goes to one location where it splits to the two lights. It is at this point the neutral would need to come from. You could use one Wink to switch both lights at the same time but I suspect you don't want that.

Old 11-14-17, 08:19 PM
I
How?

how would I go about wiring it to turn both lights on?

Old 11-15-17, 07:58 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
At the light box where that cable originates, you would need to reconfigure it so that the white wire is the neutral, black is the constant hot and red is the switched hot. If you're able to show us the wiring in that box, we can help with that step.

Old 11-20-17, 10:34 PM
G
If the current drawn by wink on the neutral wire is low, you can cheat by using the ground as neutral.
Some light dimmers that require no neutral wire do this trick. I personally don't like to have any current on ground wire, but it seems to be permitted.
But exactly how low is low enough, someone familiar with electrical code may know.

Old 11-20-17, 10:51 PM
Group Moderator
The switches that use the ground for their power have no neutral. They specifically state that the dimmer must be grounded for proper operation. Those units are UL listed to use the ground. You cannot connect a switch with a neutral wire to ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: