Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I split my main service to feed an additional service pannel??

Old 10-17-17, 06:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am burying the main service line to my home and moving the meter base to the opposite side of the house putting the breaker box 34' away from the new service entrance. My question is would it be possible to run the main service line in the attic to a splitter box then to the breaker box? I want to do this because the main breaker box is full and I will have to put a subpanel in the house to cover 3 additional bed rooms I will be adding in the future. Of coarse I will be hiring an electrician to do the work I'm just wanting to know if it would be a good idea to go ahead and have a junction box installed while moving the service entrance to the opposite side of the house?

Old 10-17-17, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
A little hard to follow what you are doing.

You've discussed this "service" move with the power company ?
Normally a change like this needs to be ok'ed by them.

You want to bring the service underground to a meter on your house. Then install the main panel 34' away from the meter.

Since you will have 34' of unfused wiring inside the house.... there needs to be a disconnect at the meter.

You will need a main service disconnect panel next to your meter to disconnect the house electrical panel. You could install a meter pan and a multiple breaker panel at the same time to power a second panel up.

Something like this....
Siemens 200 Amp 8-Space 16-Circuit Subfeed Lug Ringless Meter Combo

You should be getting input from your electrician too.

Old 10-17-17, 07:41 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Got ya, I'm moving the service to the opposite side of the house so I can build an addition off the side of the house where the meter was located. (Its in the way now). The electric company has came out and looked at it and said everything was ok. I need to bury the conduit and set a meter and they will pull the wire to the house. Its kind of a messed up deal because the house will be moved to another location on the property but this has to be done first so the transformer pole can be taken down. It is in the way of where the pad will be built for the house move. So I'm just hooking up the original breaker panel to the new service meter on the opposite side of the house. I will need to have a sub panel put into the house to power additions being built onto the house. My question is at which point do I feed the new panel? Off of the meter box?

Old 10-17-17, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
Yes.... since you need a disconnect anyway at the meter for the main service.... that would be the place to also power an additional panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: