Questions about breaker box in old house

Old 10-18-17, 04:01 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Questions about breaker box in old house

I just bought an older home (built 1920) and had some questions about the panel, wondering if anybody could help me with-

1. The meter socket is stamped 100 AMP on one side and SC150C on the other, googling that leads to an 80 AMP meter socket (Murray 80 Amp 1-Gang Meter Socket-SC150C - The Home Depot) any reason why they don't match?

2. The amp rating on the main breaker is worn off and I can't quite read it, it's either 100 or 200, can anybody ID it from the printed label beneath it?

3. Are there any positions on this panel that are OK for tandem breakers? I don't know what MP, EQ-P, Quicklag-P mean, but it's seems like the tandems online are listed as MH-T? Previous owners have one tandem in use.

Appreciate any insight you can give me - thanks.

Attached Images       
Old 10-18-17, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
That is a 100A panel so that is a 100A main breaker.

Looking at the panel label you will see the diagram shows 20 identical breakers. That means 20 standard breakers and no tandems.

This label shows standard breakers only at the top and standard or tandems at the bottom.

Name:  panel t.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  39.7 KB

Old 10-18-17, 05:09 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Since label mentions "CTL" you follow PJ's direction that since no spaces show tandems then they are not allowed. The existing tandem should not be there.

There have been many company buy-outs since your panel was made so quite confusing for brand.

MP - Standard Murray breakers (manufactured now by Siemens with different label)
EQ-P - All Siemens type QP circuit breakers are direct replacements for EQP circuit breakers (per Siemens rep)
Quicklag-P - Now Eaton HQP type but not easily available
MH-T - Murray but not allowed in your panel

Old 10-18-17, 08:04 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great, thank you both for the info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: