welder

Old 05-06-01, 04:10 PM
Visiting Guest
i just get a welder. the problem is it draws 107amp when i weld with it at 80 amps. the tag on it saids draws 120volt 30amp. it is 80 amp welder and it is on a 30 amp. breaker.thecord that is on it is 10 wire. is this normer or should i be consern about it drawing so much or should it be on a lawger breaker.thank you in avance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-01, 10:00 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are not any 110/120 Volt welders that draw over 100 amps. What is your basis for believing it is drawing 107 amps?

I have a Hobart Handler 135 (110V) that I routinely run on a 20 amp circuit breaker. I move it to a 30 amp circuit breaker when I use High Power and .035 wire. I use a 4 guage extension cord. I have burned through 1/4 inch plate on a 30 amp circuit, and not popped the breaker.

Old 05-07-01, 05:55 PM
Visiting Guest
i put a amp probe on one of feed wires and atteped to weld and seen waht it was drawing. it i had it on a 20 amp braeker but it was tripping it. so i put it on a 30 amp braeker. it seems to hod it but am concern that it peaks so high. it is a older one if that mene anything.

Old 05-07-01, 06:22 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Without seeing what you are hooking up, and how you are hooking it up, I may not be able to help further. Are you sure you are measuring input amps, and not output amps?

Old 05-07-01, 06:52 PM
Visiting Guest
i am sure tha i take the measerment from the wire on the cordthat isfeeding the unit. it has the feed wire the it goes to the transfermer then from the trans. wires go to termeners that you plug in the welding ground and rod if that help you any it looks like a store but unit but it is old