Same SubPanel as Main Panel?

Old 10-26-17, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Same SubPanel as Main Panel?

I am putting a subpanel in my garage which is 200 feet from my house. I have a 200 amp GE main panel in the house. I bought a 60 amp Square D subpanel for the garage. Is that okay? Thanks for the help. John.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-17, 04:52 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I bought a 60 amp Square D subpanel for the garage. Is that okay?
Really no such thing as a "subpanei".They are the same as a main panel except they don't have the first breaker after the meter and you add a ground bar.

A 60 amp panel has very few spaces for breakers so usually at least a 12 space or more 100 amp main breaker panel* is used. This gives you more spaces for breakers and the main breaker acts as the required disconnect if a panel in a detached structure has more than six breakers. You can supply it from any size breaker, usually 30 amp or more, up to 100 amps. Typical feeds are usually 40 or 60 amps. (The subpanel breaker is only used as a switch so feeds to it can be less than 100a.) We would need info about loads to give better details.

How did you plan to run the feed to the garage?

A subpanel doesn't have to be the same make as the main panel but it is convenient to use the same breakers in both panels.

*Side benefit of a main breaker panel is it if you buy the kit you get an assortment of breakers included and it usually ends up being cheaper than other options..

Last edited by ray2047; 10-26-17 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-26-17, 08:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
It does not matter that the brands do not match between panels.

The breakers do need to match the panel brand .