Replacing electric dryer cord?

Old 10-28-17, 08:15 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing electric dryer cord?

So i got a new washer and dryer, and the dryer is a newer 4 prong power cord and the wall has the older 3 prong outlet. I bought the new outlet to install in my place, but read something somewhere saying you would need to have the place rewired to replace the outlet, so I bought the power cord to replace on the dryer. Pics attached.

Is this going to work? Is everything compatible, putting the three prong cord onto the 4 prong dryer?

Attached Images   
Old 10-28-17, 08:33 AM
P
Received 123 Votes on 97 Posts
You can use the 3 prong cord and the existing 3 prong outlet in the house. The neutral is bonded to the frame in the dryer. The two center wires in the dryer picture go to the center connection as does the center wire from the cord. The center prong on a 3 wire dryer plug is actually a neutral which also serves as the ground.

Old 10-28-17, 10:09 AM
The two center wires in the dryer picture go to the center connection
I don't see two center wires, just one. As a precaution I would run a wire from the center terminal to the chassis screw where the ground is connected now.
Connect A to B to ensure the frame is bonded.

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-17, 10:37 AM
C
Awesome, thanks. And when you say the 2 center wires in the dryer picture, there is only 1 wire there now (the green w yellow stripe) and the yellow one was part of the 4 prong wire that i removed. Should I just attached the green w yellow stripe wire along with the center wire on the new cord to the center connection?
Also, are the 2 outside wires on the new cord positive and negative? I'm not sure which outside wire goes on the left / right side of the dryer connection. I'll add a pic with labels to help identify.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Images   
Old 10-28-17, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
That dryer has a bonding pigtail. It's the green wire I pointed to. That dryer is currently incorrectly wired for four wire operation. When using a 4 wire plug and cord..... it goes to the same screw as the incoming ground wire. When using a 3 wire cord it goes to the center screw where it is currently located.

Name:  dc.jpg
Views: 3114
Size:  47.8 KB

Old 10-28-17, 11:03 AM
C
Sounds good. and what about the outside wires on the new 3 prong power cord? Does it matter which outside wire on the cord goes to which outside contact on the dryer?

Old 10-28-17, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
The two outer wires can be installed in either direction. Install it whichever way the eyelets fit tight to the block and the screws. Make sure the screws are fairly tight.

Looks like 2 - 1 would fit the best.

Old 10-28-17, 01:31 PM
OK my mistake, just wanted to be safe....Thanks Pete.
In my example, A is already connected to B and the wire I referred to is unnecessary.

Old 10-28-17, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
No problem..... dryer bonding can be confusing. It shouldn't be but they don't all follow the same game plan.

Old 10-28-17, 02:49 PM
C
I think i'm all set, but when i went to test the dry out, no power.

So i went to the box and the dryer switch is fixed in the off position with a note not to remove the plate holding it in the off position (pic attached)
I sent an email to the condo complex asking about.it. Hopefully there is no reason I can't power a dryer in my unit. can't imagine why not. Any ideas?

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-17, 02:57 PM
P
Received 123 Votes on 97 Posts
That is a quad breaker. The metal bracket ties the two outer breakers together. You just flip both breakers to on at same time. If you are talking about the tag saying not to remove the KO's that doesn't apply to that breaker. The bracket is not a lockout.

Old 10-28-17, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
"Do not remove this KO" means that space cannot accept a circuit breaker.

Old 10-29-17, 11:34 AM
Received 96 Votes on 86 Posts
So i got a new washer and dryer, and the dryer is a newer 4 prong power cord and the wall has the older 3 prong outlet.

New electric dryers and ranges do not and never have come from the factory with a power cord, they have to be purchased separately. Whoever sold you the dryer sold you and installed the wrong cord for your application. Almost all, if not all, new dryers come from the factory set up for a 3-wire power cord. It was in the 1996 NEC that 4-wire dryer circuits were first required in homes. 3-wire dryer cords and receptacles are basically for pre-996 installations. 4-wire dryer receptacles and cords have been available since well before 1996 primarily for mobile home installations where the mobile home's panel is a subpanel.

Old 10-29-17, 01:14 PM
C
Thanks all. Everything's working great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: