Is microwave receptacle legal?

Old 10-28-17, 03:55 PM
D
DLH
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is microwave receptacle legal?

Three. and half years go I removed an old stove with a microwave built on top. On top of the microwave sat an exhaust hood. Because of that the upper cabinet extends down 5" shorter than normal. Because I was going to mount the new microwave at the normal height it left me with a 5" space between it and the cabinet. That's where I installed the outlet in the wall, just above the microwave. Not behind the upper cabinet as normal. Of course the new microwave only lasted 3 and a half years where the previous one lasted 30. I'm not getting any younger so I thought I'd have the store install the new one. When the installers got here they took one look and said they couldn't install the microwave because the outlet was not legal. Is that true?

DLH

Old 10-28-17, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
A picture would sure be nice but it sounds like the receptacle is directly behind the microwave which is not legal.

How-to-insert-pictures

Old 10-28-17, 05:01 PM
Like said a picture would be helpful.
There are a few reasons why a store would refuse to install a microwave vent hood if that's what you mean.

-The receptacle needs to be in the upper cabinet (preferably right side), not in any void below the cabinet, you need access to unplug it
-The receptacle needs to be on a dedicated circuit and not shared with counter top receptacles or lighting
-The upper cabinet bottom or shelf (combustible surface) needs to be a minimum of 30" above the cooking surface

These guys are doing you a favor by not installing, some wouldn't care. Post a picture and you will get help on how to correct.

Old 10-29-17, 03:31 PM
D
DLH
Here's a picture of the outlet just above the old microwave. Above the outlet is the bottom of the cabinet. On the extreme right you can see the shiny bolt that passes thru the floor of the cabinet to support the microwave. I made a trim piece to cover the gap between the microwave and the cabinet. It's not even attached. It just sits on the microwave. To unplug the microwave all I need to do is remove the trim and reach in.

DLH

Attached Images  
Old 10-29-17, 03:46 PM
D
DLH
Here's another picture. To stabilize the microwave the bolt tightens the microwave against the 2x4.

DLH

Attached Images  
Old 10-29-17, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
If the trim piece covering that void is just sitting there.... I don't see an issue.
The plug is basically accessible without dropping the unit,.

Old 10-29-17, 05:05 PM
D
DLH
That's why I used the 2x4s as spacers instead of the trim piece. So it would be easy to remove the trim and reach in. If anyone would like to compare my setup to theirs here's some measurements. Upper cabinet is 12 and a half inches tall. From the top of stove to bottom of cabinet at least 36". From the floor to the bottom trim of the cabinet 72".

DLH

Old 10-29-17, 05:12 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Was it established the receptacle is on a dedicated circuit.?

Old 10-30-17, 11:15 AM
D
DLH
Because the old microwave stove combo was on a single 20 amp circuit with the outlet at the base of the wall, three years ago I opened up the wall and pulled another circuit for the new microwave.

DLH

Old 10-30-17, 12:01 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
pulled another circuit for the new microwave.
Good job. .

Old 10-30-17, 12:27 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Looks OK to me as long as that receptacle remains accessible by easily removing the trim cover piece. Any sort of permanent covering would violate code. I could see why the store installers didn't want to do it -- non typical installation for sure.

Old 10-30-17, 12:40 PM
D
DLH
Should be interesting. The first crew could hardly speak English. When I talked to their boss on the phone she said she would send another crew. They're suppose to show up Wednesday.

DLH.

Old 11-01-17, 03:35 PM
D
DLH
Well the second crew came today. They agreed there was no problem and I now have a new microwave.

DLH

Old 11-01-17, 06:04 PM
Great job. The 2 x 4 serves two purposes, a spacer and to attach your trim.
I doubt if a pro could have done much better. The spacer is important because the metal is so thin at the top of the MW.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: