4 wire Outlet Replacement

Old 10-30-17, 07:20 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4 wire Outlet Replacement

I have a couple outlets with 5 wires: 2 black, 2 white, 1 ground. I wanted to replace them with a new duplex that has USB ports, but that duplex has just one screw on either side (plus a ground). I tried connecting both black to one side and both white to the other. Obviously that's wrong, but the top outlets work. I'm guessing this is because the whole "2 black, 2 white" wire thing is passing service down the line to another outlet. So, looking for some guidance:

1. Since most new duplexes I see have 1 screw on either side, is there an easy way to make them work with a 2 black/2 white setup?

2. And if there are 4-wire versions of this type of duplex, what do I search to find them? "4-wire USB duplex" doesn't seem to do it. All it returns is duplexes with one screw on either side.

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Old 10-30-17, 07:27 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Pigtails

Use pig tails. Connect the two black wires to one end of a black pigtail. Connect the other end of the black pigtail to the brass screw. Connect the two white wires to one end of a white pigtail. Connect the other end of the white pigtail to the silver screw.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 10-30-17 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Added text.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: