Problem with Legrand switches failing

Old 10-31-17, 09:56 AM
C
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Problem with Legrand switches failing

Hi,

I purchased a new home 9 years ago. All the switches installed were Legrand Pass & Seymour.

A few years ago, I noticed that some of the switches broke, not from violent or abusive usage (in fact, one was in the walk-in wardrobe, which isnít all that used, and the other one was in a powder room that also isnít used as much as the other bathrooms.

See attached 2 pictures:

The first picture truly represent the problem, there is a pin/plastic part that is supposed to retain the toggle plate in its middle, but on the left side, you can see that the toggle plate is in fact outside the enclosure (for the whole left side).

I managed to get Legrand to agree to replace the 2 switched that has the problem, but my concern is for the remaining 30+ (??) switches in my home. I really fear it is a design problem and that those switches are prone to break easily. Has others seen this same problem?

Thanks

Old 10-31-17, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 594 Votes on 510 Posts
I have not experienced issues with Decora style switches that you describe and P&S is my preferred brand. However Decora is less then 1% of the switches I have installed. It could be a defect but the switches are likely less then $3 ea. Just swap them out as the break.

Old 11-01-17, 11:17 AM
C
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You are correct, they don't cost much to repair. Except to me this is a clear case of a product design... they all seem to break in the same way at the same place. I'm certain they have since strengthened their design to fix this issue. Was mostly wondering if others has ran into this problem.

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-02-17, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 594 Votes on 510 Posts
Decora style has been around for a very long time. (30+ years) I suspect it is more of a bad batch of switches then a design flaw.

That said, I just recently had two standard toggle switches failed and I in stalled them about 12 years ago. :\

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: