Neutral & grounding bars in panel

Old 11-01-17, 09:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Neutral & grounding bars in panel

I'm wanting to add a bunch of circuits out in my barn and there's enough circuits available in my 100 amp panel to do this. It appears there are two neutral and two grounding bats in the panel. However, only one is being utilized at the moment but they are just about full. My question is can I use the other bars as they are? Or do I need to rewire anything with the service coming into the box in order to use them? I've attached a picture of the neutral bars and the grounding bars. In both instances, the bar being used is slightly recessed back in the box.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 11-01-17, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
Is that a main service ? Does it directly connect to a meter outside the building ?

If that is a sub panel off another panel.... it may not be wired to current standards.
That looks like 4 wire aluminum service cable. Where is the bare ground connected ?

Old 11-01-17, 10:11 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes - that is the main service. It has its own meter on the outside of the barn. The grounds are attached to the grounding bar and go out the bottom of the box to the floor. Attached is a pic of the whole box.

Attached Images  
Old 11-01-17, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
Those four bars are connected together. They can be used for neutral or ground interchangeably. Remember only one neutral to a hole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: