Low voltage on Neutral. LED flicker

Old 11-02-17, 07:16 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low voltage on Neutral. LED flicker

Hi, Just installed LED pot lights (slim pot lights) in my bedrooms. 2 of my bedrooms use the same circuit. I installed 6 led in one bedroom and 4 in the other. I also installed Lutron LED dimmers (I also tried different kinds and still continue to have the same issue).

I noticed that when I dim the lights low in bedroom #1, in bedroom #2, the lights in bedroom #2 have a slight amount of light coming from them even though the dimmer is shut off. The last light on the circuit is the brightest. When I flicker the lights in bed #1 (change the dimmer setting while staying on the lowest settings), the lights slightly flickers in Bed #2.
I tested the circuit in Bed #2, while the dimmer is off there is no power in the hot wire. I disconnected the hot wire (black) from the power source in Bed #2. I used a multi Meter to measure the voltage and noticed that there 3-5 volts on the neutral (white) Wire. This low voltage on the neutral wire is causing the lights to slightly turn on (ven though the power is off - I even dsconnected the hot wire). When I flicker the dimmer in Bed #1, the voltage slightly change between 3-5 volts in Bed #2 which makes the light in bed #2 appear to flicker.

When I turn full power in Bed #1, all works fine. What gives? Is this fixable?

Thank you

Old 11-02-17, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,961 Votes on 2,672 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

LED lights need very little current to glow and many strange things have been known to happen. Just having a hot cable run next to the switched cable can make the lights come on very dim.

Can you do anything..... probably not. It's not dangerous and there is no fire issue.... it's just annoying.

I have found thru experience that the Lutron Maestro dimmers work the best with LED lights. They have an adjustment circuit where you can change where the lights turn off. Use the MA/CL for LED's.

Old 11-03-17, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
Another dimmer to try is a Lutron electronic low voltage dimmer. I have found that they will dim LED lights when other dimmers cause flicker, even the Maestro dimmers PJmax mentioned. Bad news is they are about $80.

Old 11-03-17, 07:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you all for your reply. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Thx

Old 11-04-17, 06:08 AM
T
Received 68 Votes on 64 Posts
You might try just one low power incandescent bulb in the system. That should stop this led flicker madness.

Old 11-04-17, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,961 Votes on 2,672 Posts
Fortunately the single low power incandescent bulb works great.
Unfortunately it clashes with most customers lighting ideas.

Old 11-05-17, 05:10 AM
T
Received 68 Votes on 64 Posts
You can also put a ceiling fan type motor capacitor across the line. Most electricians, however, don't see such items inside J-boxes. They are fairly small and have attached leads, so wiring is easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: