ceiling fan separate light and fan switch wiring

Old 11-04-17, 05:38 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan separate light and fan switch wiring

Hello, can you tell me if this sounds right? I ran 2x 12/2 wiring from the ceiling fan to the switch. The power is coming from the ceiling fan fixture. From the switch box, there are 2x 12/2 wires (2 blk, 2 white).

12/2 cable 1: Bring the Hot and neutral wires down to the switch
12/2 cable 2: Bring the Light and Fan power wires down to the switch

I would make a jumper wire or pigtail for the hot to power the 2 switches and there will be a neutral there for future wemo switch. Does this sound right? thanks.

Old 11-04-17, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

With the 12-2 bringing power down to the switch...... connect both the white and black wires to the hot and neutral at the fan box. At the switch box..... cap off the white wire. It's not needed. You already have the neutral at the ceiling. You don't need it at the switch but good to have there anyway. The hot wire from this cable will connect to both switches. You can use short wires as tails to go to the switches.

With the second cable..... you'll use white as the line back up to the light and you'll use the black as the line up to the fan. Tape or color the white wire so that it's not confused as a neutral. Red or blue are two good colors.

Old 11-04-17, 06:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for confirming my wiring plan. I would surely get some red tape so I do not get messed up with the Neutral. The reason I wanted a Neutral to the switch box is for my future wemo wifi switch. If that wasn't the case, I would of just used a 12/3 wire instead of 2x 12/2 wires. Thanks for the fast reply!!!!

Old 11-04-17, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Code actually requires a neutral at switch boxes now.... so you're all set.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: