1 circuit on 2 breakers, switched neutral

Old 11-06-17, 11:25 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1 circuit on 2 breakers, switched neutral

I have 1 circuit attached to 2 breakers. It is an old ragwire circuit that the previous owners intentionally spliced at the end of the line and ran the wire back to a 2nd breaker so that it wouldn't trip on overload. With the 2nd breaker off I still have power to every device on the circuit but I am getting shocked at multiple lights and switches just by touching the cover plate or pulling a pull chain to turn a light on. This does NOT occur with both breakers on. Did some investigating and testing, and the only problem I can find is a switched neutral 3 devices before the splice where the 2nd breaker is connected. What I can't figure out is why with BOTH breakers on I am not getting shocked at all.

Old 11-06-17, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,955 Votes on 2,666 Posts
It is an old ragwire circuit that the previous owners intentionally spliced at the end of the line and ran the wire back to a 2nd breaker so that it wouldn't trip on overload.
WHAT...... that is like inviting a fire to your house !!!!

That must go first and then you will need to go thru the circuit to locate an open neutral or something touching ground. Both breakers on should not have that type of effect.

Old 11-07-17, 03:27 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
WHAT...... that is like inviting a fire to your house !!!!

That must go first and then you will need to go thru the circuit to locate an open neutral or something touching ground. Both breakers on should not have that type of effect.
Just seeing how they had all of this hooked up had me shaking my head. I didn't find any loose connections, no neutral wires touching metal or any ground/neutral connected anywhere. Correcting the reversed hot and neutral connection feeding the light switch fixed the problem and now I am able to shut off the 2nd breaker and not getting shocked by the switch or light. Didn't expect this to fix the issue but it did. At least now I can shut off the 2nd breaker and remove the splicing

Old 11-07-17, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,955 Votes on 2,666 Posts
At least now I can shut off the 2nd breaker and remove the splicing
Definitely. Keep your eyes open for other problems too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: