Need help wiring up a DC motor

Old 11-09-17, 09:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help wiring up a DC motor

I have an old dc motor from a food processor and I need some help to wire it up to use it. there are 5 wires:
Blue
White
Black
Yellow
Red

Starting with the blue wire there is a capacitor and resister in parallel attached to a coil at the side of the motor.
the coil then turns into the white wire (2 of them) one just goes off to a connector, the other goes to a black thing at the end of the axle. I think it is a brush or something?
there are coils all over the axle and another brush thing on the other side of the axle.
The second brush goes to the red wire which goes out to nothing.
the yellow wire goes to a coil opposite of the axle to the first coil. the coil then ends in the black wire.

It'd be great to be able to use this motor for some stuff.
also I have been wondering if it is possible to run it off of a car battery (24V), I know its not what it says on the motor which I think is "220-240 V" but I'm not sure as it is kind of hard to read.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-17, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums from down under.

If it's designed for 220v service...... it won't run on 24v.
It sounds like a brush type motor. A picture or two would be helpful.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 11-09-17, 09:50 AM
J
Pictures of the motor

I just finished getting the pictures of the motor. also just in case it helps it's 7cm wide.
Also thanks for the really quick reply

Attached Images         
Old 11-09-17, 02:20 PM
T
Received 42 Votes on 41 Posts
pretty clearly a universal motor.

look here for some ideas:

Old 11-09-17, 10:41 PM
J
Mine has slightly different wiring though. I think its like this.

Attached Images  
Old 11-09-17, 11:16 PM
J
I still don't know how to wire it up though. I have just been trying some stuff with it though and with 2 12 V dc power supplies I can run the motor. I had one hooked up to the blue and red wires and the other on the yellow and black and that got it spinning, but it got a bit warm and I'm not sure what temperature is safe for them to still be run at. thanks for the help so far

Old 11-10-17, 02:20 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's stamped right there on the side its a 220/240 volt... so it's gotta be AC right? I have never seen a DC motor with a Capacitor, but I could be wrong

Old 11-10-17, 04:38 AM
J
I have no idea if its dc or not but I had it running, very slowly, off of a 12VDC power supply. I used a jumper wire between yellow and red and connected blue and black to the power. I'm don't think that's how it's supposed to be used though.

Old 11-10-17, 04:39 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
Based on the 50 HZ tag on the laminations, it has to be an AC powered motor. In the US the power is 60 HZ so the motor will not perform as designed. Since an single phase AC motor only need 2 wires for power, my guess is the other wires are for speed changes and/or reversing via a module that was mounted separate from the motor. Where are you located?

Old 11-10-17, 04:58 AM
J
I'm in Australia. I remember taking it out of the food processor that it was part of, it had 2 speeds stopped and flat out. all of the wires were connected to a switch I think. it was a while ago and I don't have any photos or the switch itself anymore. I don't believe there was any transformer in it, so I guess it is AC actually.

Old 11-10-17, 09:44 AM
T
Received 42 Votes on 41 Posts
Getting more basic:

Universal motors are AC/DC series wound motors with commutation. They are loosely based on DC series motors, but the laminations accomodate AC and may also have a so-called compensation winding to make it work with AC. But, bottom line, they work with AC or DC.

I'm supposing with all the leads availble, that the application was either reversable or multi-speed, or both. Now, for the guesses. I'm going to guess that the small cap is for spark suppression/EMC radiation suppression. The small resistor may simply be a discharge for the cap for safety.
For wiring. You have a rotor/wiinding thru the brushes with two wires. You have one or two field windings. If these windings seemm identical, then they should be wired in series, and then in series with the rotor thru the brushes. IF, howver, there is a compensation winding, you must ID that one, since it will NOT be wired like the field winding. Hope this helpsl pretty much out of ideas.